You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coach will not build air pressure

Was working on a few odds and ends today and went to move the coach and it will not build air.  Thankfully I had a portable compressor so that I could float the coach to get it back into storage stall, but I'm at a complete loss as this is not something I've dealt with yet.  Calling Newell in the morning to see what advice they have, but thought I would put it out here too.

Most recent things i've done to the coach is recently had to replace drive axle rotor, calipers, pads.  Earlier today I realized my 120v compressor was bad as the shop that was doing my brake work let it sit there and run for hours on end while they had things torn apart...or at least that why I think it went bad.  Sucks as it was a brand new compressor.  I just never thought to shut that off when they were doing something like that as I figured there was check valve or something that would separate the system.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

The first suspect is always the last thing a mechanic touched.  Do the brakes work?  Any air pressure on the gauges?  Is it just the suspension that doesn't raise?  Is the compressor putting out air?  My air system may be similar so I attached a diagram.

Attached Files
.pdf Governor-Service-Data.pdf Size: 137.82 KB  Downloads: 14

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

I am kinda with Jim on this one.

The first thing that I would do would be to look at the gauge in the engine bay. With the engine running, it should build to 120 psi. The coach wont even start to lift at less than 90 psi. If it does not do that, it could be a huge leak, or the regulator has a problem or the engine compressor has a problem.

The air system on these coaches has quite a lot of volume, so if the air has been released due to maintenance, it will take a while to fill up and start building pressure.

Watch the engine gauge and make sure it is increasing (possibly very slowly) with the engine running. If not, start the troubleshooting.

For what it’s worth.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

You may also have a bad ppv (pressure protection valve).

(05-15-2023, 08:56 AM)ccjohnson Wrote:  You may also have a bad ppv (pressure protection valve).

Sorry for the dumb question, but where would I look for that valve?

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

Above the drive axle.

Try this  Thread.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I may be off kilter but I thought a PPV valve would just save that last 60 PSI for the brakes and it shouldn't affect the normal operation otherwise?

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Talked with Brad this a.m.
The coach has been driven a couple of times since the brake work. The engine compressor builds zero air. He is investigating governor then air dessicant blow off valve.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

He would likely hear it but I had the line from the compressor to the filter blow out resulting in NO air pressure getting into the system. Of course the governor could cause that also without all the noise in the engine bay.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(05-15-2023, 07:06 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  He would likely hear it but I had the line from the compressor to the filter blow out resulting in NO air pressure getting into the system. Of course the governor could cause that also without all the noise in the engine bay.

Thanks.  My mechanic is coming by in the bit to help me trouble shoot. Replaced governor yesterday and that was not it.  First step I think it we're going to disconnect line from compressor at the dryer and we'll see if we're making pressure there.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO