You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

"Its got a hole in it"

Yes the copper coils are easy to repair, since you already have it out, the easy way to find the leak is to pressurize it and put it under water you will see all the leakes, the proper way to do it is to use nitrogen, but you will need a nitrogen bottle and regulator. you have to plug one end and pressurize the other end, I was a refrigeration mechanic so I have fittings I would sulfos on the ends, you could use fuel line and hose clamps and a bolt to plug one end then figure out how to get pressure in the coil, you could use air pressure but there is moisture in it and you have to get it out by pulling a vacuum and boiling it out the vacuum reduces the boiling point of the water or the unit might not work properly, If the leak is where the copper pipes go through the steel end plates i have found that if i try to cut the steel away so that i can clean the copper and sulfoss the hole I end up making more holes so i use my oxy acetylene torch heat the steel up red hot open the oxygen up a little and oxidize the steel away cleaning the copper really good makes it easier to sulfos leak test it again to make sure there are no more leaks if you don't have a swaging tool you will have too buy 2 coupling to put it back together pull a vacuum on the system put the charge back in and it should work

John Kosir
712 2004  45-8

Messages In This Thread
"Its got a hole in it" - by BusNit - 06-05-2023, 05:45 PM
RE: "Its got a hole in it" - by johnkosir - 06-06-2023, 12:49 AM
RE: "Its got a hole in it" - by Jack Houpe - 06-06-2023, 03:43 AM
RE: "Its got a hole in it" - by Latitude 28 - 06-06-2023, 09:11 AM
RE: "Its got a hole in it" - by Latitude 28 - 06-06-2023, 09:01 AM
RE: "Its got a hole in it" - by Jonestead - 06-06-2023, 04:59 PM
RE: "Its got a hole in it" - by Jack Houpe - 06-07-2023, 03:56 AM