You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Exterior Door Handle on 1992 Broken

I went out to the coach this afternoon to start cutting lumber to convert over from the fluorescent lights to led strip lights and found the door would not open. The door pull would come all the way up but would not release the latch.

I called Newell and they suggested I crawl in through a window. I am security conscience so all of the windows are locked. So Mike Gerring said I would likely have to have one of the windshields removed.

Not liking those answers, I took my Dremel with a metal cut off wheel and cut the arm off of the left side of the handle, reached in with long needle nose pliers, grabbed the part of the arm I cut off, and pulled down HARD. It worked!! The latch released and I was able to get the door open. To insure the door didn't relock while I await shipment of a new door handle, I removed the striker bolt from the door jam.

Newell has a few of these door handles in stock. They are a scant $184.28. They are from a 1982-1987 Lincoln Continental but are typically not listed at Ford/Lincoln dealers as being available. The Ford part number is E25Y5422404A with Alternate Part Number 1ADHE00082 per Chuck Clark at Newell.

I found 1 on Ebay and ordered it. We will see. I hope the door handle was the issue. I was surprised how far down I had to pull to get the door to release. At least now I have access to the inside of the door to replace any broken parts.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael,

Do you think that it would be a good preventative maintenance idea to clean and lubricate the door latch?

Why do you think it failed?

Did Newell say if this was a common thing!

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

Glad it happened at home!
I wonder if there is any way to adjust the door strikers. On mine I have to slam the door to get it to latch. I'd like to adjust it if it's possible.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Tuga, I don't know if that would have helped but it certainly would not have hurt. My door has been sticking due to expansion when sitting in direct sun on the passengers side. Newell adjusted the door (block of wood and hammer) last time I was there and it hasn't been sticking as badly. I suspect tugging on it when it was stuck didn't help it any.

Forest, yes, the striker can be adjusted. It required a Torx head socket (T-50) and a good size ratchet wrench to loosen and tighten it up again. I have removed it so I won't get trapped outside again awaiting the new latch. I will post how much of the door I have to take apart to remove the outside handle and install the new one.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

the plastic sleeves that go over the door striker are just a few bucks and are available at autozone, checker, o'reilly etc. they have been at every autoparts store i have looked at. there are several lengths of them avail. while the striker is off, you might pick one up and change the sleeve.

i did a quick search and see this place has them for 26 bucks.

http://www.speedyautoparts.com/find/LCTOWNCAR110.html

all in all, they are as strong as you would hope for. i am surprised more of them have not broken when you think about it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I have a friend who got stuck INSIDE his coach. He has a Millennium Prevost 45' w/2 slides. He and his family and another couple got stuck inside the coach when he tried to open the door and the door latch broke!

He had to climb out of the window, walk around to the outside of the door, and then tried to open it. He finally got it open.

So Michael consider yourself lucky that you were on the outside!Confused

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

Michael.
I have replaced my door handle twice since I have had the coach, 6 yrs now. After spending the $180 at newell I googled the part number same as the one you have and found a supplier for less than $25. See the following web site. Also as the new door handle was getting more difficult to operate I lubricated it and it has been working great ever since.http://www.speedyautoparts.com/find/LCTOWNCAR110.html

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Brad, I followed the link but which one?

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Steve, it is the 1980-1989 Lincoln Town Car Front Door Handle RH (Passenger Side). Part No: L462101 3rd from the bottom.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks I thought that I should pick up a spare.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch