You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Windshield Replacement and New Gasket

TLTR: Broken left side glass being replaced with new gasket, right side reset. 

Had an issue with the right rear height control valve pitching over center and forcing that corner into a full up condition. It would not return to a normal condition on its own. First I drove from Mesa to Tonopah where I discovered the issue. Then I drove back to Mesa to see if Leo could do anything. 

He swapped the arm to the other mounting hole and that appears to have corrected that issue. 

So on the return to Mesa to see Leo I noticed a crack in the lower left corner of the left glass. It started several inches from the left corner and went vertical for 18" another crack went to the right at about 12" up from the bottom to the right vertical leg of the glass. A week later I was leaving a camp spot in the Coconino National Forest when I noticed the top left of the left glass and the bottom right of the right glass had popped out of the gaskets. The gasket had also popped off the body at both corners. Clearly the coach had been racked. A twisting moment across the entire coach. 

Now several weeks later the crew is replacing the glass and gasket. They has a bear of a time getting the right glass back in. Now they are struggling getting the top left corner of the left glass seated.

Before pics added.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

When I had new windshields installed in 316 they required the coach to set level for 24 hours after installation in order for the adhesive/sealant to set up. This aided in the glass offering structural support to the front cap. It appears that yours got torqued.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Is windshield replacement a costly item? I have a crack in my lower left corner about 6 inches, it goes right across the corner.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I replaced both windshields in my ‘78 Newell 30 years ago and in my ‘93 10 years ago. Both times it took 3 guys at least a half day to do it. Each time the most economical glass came from Newell directly. I can’t remember the cost but I’m sure it would be more now.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

(06-10-2023, 02:51 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Is windshield replacement a costly item? 

All in $3800.00 New left side glass, gasket, and they came to me.

(06-10-2023, 05:29 AM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  I replaced both windshields in my ‘78 Newell 30 years ago and in my ‘93 10 years ago. Both times it took 3 guys at least a half day to do it. Each time the most economical glass came from Newell directly. I can’t remember the cost but I’m sure it would be more now.

Two guys and they were at it hard for 4+ hours. 

I spent the night an such a tilt, I can hardly walk the hall without touching the wall with my shoulder and the baseboard with my opposite foot. The door flings open. LOL 

Only another 5 hours of leaning till the urathans cures.

1998 Coach 484
Cheers.  

Does insurance cover that? I have glass coverage but curious if they would deem that not insurable.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(06-10-2023, 09:34 AM)BusNit Wrote:  Does insurance cover that? I have glass coverage but curious if they would deem that not insurable.

I don't know for sure yet. Still in discussions with my agent. 

I do have WS replacement and or repair coverage. But there is a phrase in the policy That might limit it to external to the coach causes.

1998 Coach 484
Cheers.  

I had both windshields replace because of road debris cracks. I was only privy to the labor portion. The contractor had his docs with the one I had to sign is how I saw the labor price. The labor was very reasonable for two guys for a 3 hours.
For some reason I think the total price was under $2,000. Hartford Insurance covered the whole deal.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

2000 for windshields and labor? Or just labor?

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(06-11-2023, 05:45 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  2000 for windshields and labor? Or just labor?

I'm thinking it was the whole deal - labor and parts. I remember being shocked it wasn't near $3k.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile