You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

6/10 to 8/17 Western Trip Log

Hi 

We are new to Newell, #1746, but not to RVing.   We start our big summer trip tomorrow morning.  I will post along the way with a few pics and stories of the road.   I have included our Trip Wizard map.

Follow along if you like.  Hope to meet a few of you on the road. 

Trip Wizard Map

ht

2023 Newell #1746
21 Bronco w/ Airforce One

JD and Kathy

Good for you all, have a wonderful journey and lots of pictures please!

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Looks like a wonderful trip. We really enjoyed the National Parks. Glacier was my favorite.

While you're in the San Diego area you might enjoy a wine bar/restaurant named Waterbar. Its at 4325 Ocean Blvd, San Diego, CA 92109. They had a lot of good wines and a special on wines of the day and small plates. Good place to sit by the windows upstairs and "judge" the beach volleyball. Hahaha. Another thing we enjoyed was a tour of the Carlsbad Aquafarm. They take you on a tour of their oyster farming, teach you how to shuck your own, and you have a few. Good time.

Personally, I would worry about the unpaved roads shown in a few places on your route.  I almost feel like the "paved" roads are unpaved sometimes with the potholes, multiple patches, and uneven repairs. Hope it all goes well for you and please report on the road conditions and how the rig traveled them.
Regards,
Bob

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

You are going to love the campground in Heber City.

You might want to think about using Dick’s campground in Great Falls instead of the KOA. Neither are resorts, but Dick’s is so much easier to access than the KOA.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I would also recommend Dicks. Don't let the low bridge worry you. We passed under with our stacker. Not a resort for sure but clean and good water.

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

It’ll be GREAT!

We’ve been on that route multiple times, and have stayed at almost all of those places but have some strong suggestions, based on experience.

1. Don’t worry about those ! Roads…I’ve used RVTW forever, and it continues to caution about unsaved roads for no reason. Those ! Marks are all on major highways; ones we’ve traveled.

2. Swap LVM for OASIS in Vegas. Honestly, Oasis is such a PITA to get in, and out, of that it’s beyond stressful; it’s maddening. Their entrance/exit is ridiculously tight, as is their staging area. The only place you’ll fit, comfortably is way in the back in DUAL SITES, which are long, but just ugly. For the cost, it’s LVM for us from now on…even for a one-nighter.

3. As for Beaver, we now push onto a reall NICE NEW campground in NEPHI calling Rolling Home. Great owners, and SO easy to get in and out of…well worth it, plus it splits that leg a bit more evenly for us by not needing the Heber stop. Aspen Grove is great!

4. Coming down from Kennewick, a really good split is AMBASSADOR RV PARK in Caldwell, ID. Been there a few times.

5. Use a lot of caution and research for ANYthing “National Parks”…ESPECIALLY in Yellowstone!!!! That place is insanely crowded, and the last time we went was in our Dutch Star 43’ and got a nice tight spot at Coulter Bay (one of the last ones). We moved out to get out, and stopped at the Glacier when there were NO cars in the lot. Not only did we get HONKED/CHALLENGED by some idiot in a meep-meep car..cuz we were in HIS way…when we came back to our rig, it was COMPLETELY BOXED IN FRONT AND REAR BY imbeciles who figured we parked across the lanes for no reason.
We knew then, that all the campgrounds were tight, and that they discourage even traveling though the park with a large “RV”…so just be advised it may be stressful, to say the least…especially now that things are “opened up” more.

We’ve got a site in Polson, let us know and we may have an opening for you.

Stoneridge is so nice, quiet/remote!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

I'm looking forward to posts of your trip!
Have fun and make memories...

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Thank you for all the comments and thoughts.

We are only going to Great Falls to see a client, so will certainly flip KOA for Dicks.

Agreed on the "dirt roads" on planner,  its usually a gravel park, but always causes additional research.    

As for Yellowstone we are staying at the redone Fishing Bridge and have a 80ft pull through so I expect it to be ok with exception of getting there. 

Vegas is really just a place holder on the way home. Totally agree on LVM vs Oasis, that time of year should have plenty of options.

Arrived at San Diego Bay today with out any major kerfuffles.  We did have the passenger side camera come loose from the mount.   Pulled over to inspect.  The screw that holds to two pieces together had been over tightened and broke the housing.   Made road fix with some tape which held up well and the camera still works.   Good project for tomorrow.    Sand Diego bay is as usual busy as heck with kids kids and more kids for the weekend.  There was a truck parked in our spot but got is all solved.  We are watching the Stanley cup playoff and enjoyed a lovely dinner.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2023 Newell #1746

JD and Kathy

Great day in San Diego!!  Playing with the RGB lights,  working on my theme for July 4th.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2023 Newell #1746

JD and Kathy

looks really cool.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH