You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

110v compressor operation for newbs

I am still struggling with getting the bags to fill on this 96. I was able to supply 50amp shore power to try and get the 110v Compressor to run. 
How do I turn it on? 

I hooked up shop air as well, and nothing is happening. 

I had a tech out and they said the engine compressor is not working, they left the hose off. But when I started it up, it was absolutely pushing air out, so Im not sure what happened there. 

Should I disconnect the air fitting on the 110V compressor and hook up shop air there? Would that help to diagnose anything? 

Thank you.

Tegra,

Can you add your coach information (coach number - last 3 digits of VIN, and year) to your signature. Although every Newell is different, it can help folks help you to know what vintage your coach is. I see now that you told us the vintage….96.

The first place to look at is the switch panel in the galley. You should have a switch for a 120V air compressor, and probably will have a 12V air compressor switch as well. If those are turned on, you will need to look at the breakers.

Next, Check and make sure all the breakers are turned on at the main panel in the rear of coach. (On 653, it was in the closet at very back of coach). Next, look for a breaker panel in the basement…near the inverter. Make sure those breakers are turned on.

About the engine compressor…. I would put the hose back now that you know it is making air and see what happens.

Finally, about shop air. Where did you connect shop air. On 653, there are two places that shop air could go…but only one of them is really for shop air. Look in the compartment that has engine batteries. The last door on passenger side. Look low and to the left for an input for shop air. Do you have that connection?

Give us a little more information and I am sure you can get some help!

You can also call the Newell tech support line. They work Monday through Thursday 7-4:30. They will want the coach number but are always willing to help.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

The switch for the 110v compressor is typically on the dash. When you say nothing is happening do you mean the air pressure gauge on the dash doesn't rise? The brake tanks will fill first, then the suspension and the other air operated items. Once the AUX AIR gauge on the dash gets up above 90, then you should be able to level the coach manually using the HWH keypad or with the ignition on put it in travel mode. The 110v compressor may not raise the drive axle bags up enough to get the fenders off the tires as it typically shuts off at 90-95 psi but it certainly should pump up to the 90 psi level on the dash AUX AIR gauge.

The engine compressor is really needed to supply the volume of air needed by the suspension.

Shop air at the rear fitting should, depending on the size of the air compressor, both pressure and volume, fill the suspension air bags and may or may not be able to lift the rear of the coach. If the shop air is 240v it should be capable of lifting the coach, 110v may if you give it enough time but it will likely be slow due to the volume restrictions.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I think more information is required.  

I think the easiest thing to check is to verify that the compressor has power.  I don't know where yours is, but mine has a regular plug near the compressor that goes into a switched wiring harness.  (I am assuming you turned on the switch, likely above your stovetop).  If no power, then that will need to be resolved.  

You will need to reattach all of the open fittings that you mention.  The 110V compressor is small and will not overcome any significant leaks. ...

Coach number is 397.. Last 6 of the VIN are 011397

The shop air is in the passenger side last compartment by the chassis batteries. My compressor is a 220V unit, powers my entire shop.

The rocker switch on the dash does not signify which compressor... it simply says Air compressor.

All the breakers in the closet are on but I do not see a label for the compressor.

I can not find the inverters or any breakers in the basement.

It seems as thought the compressor was moved to the driver front compartment, but the wires go into the generator comparment and I can not get that open without any air.

Ok,

First things first, did you resolve the issue of the stuck PPV valve. In other words when you plug in the coach to your shop air, do you register pressure on the Supply gauge. If not, then the 120V compressor running is NOT going to help you raise the coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I did not. To be honest and maybe I missed it in the replies on my other thread, I didn't think that the PPV valve was a for sure issue. I remember reading that if I had the 110 compressor working and it did fill up the bags, then it was a PPV valve issue. Perhaps I missed that about the shop air though.

To confirm, are you saying that if I plug in my shop error and it does not lift up the bus, then I have a PPV valve issue?

If you plug in the shop air and it does not lift coach, then you likely have a PPV issue. Confirmation of PPV issue would look like this. If you plug in shop air and the brake air gauges register your shop air pressure, BUT the supply gauge does NOT, then it is very likely you have a defective or stuck PPV.

A second diagnostic you could run to eliminate issues with the travel solenoid circuit would be to plug the coach into shop air, put the coach in level mode, and press the rear raise button. Again, if you have NO pressure on the Supply gauge then the coach will not raise.

If you absolutely have to force the coach to raise enough to get it into the shop, then do this. Locate the rear six pack of HWH solenoids in the passenger engine bay. On the aft end of that aluminum block, you will find a 3/8 air line plumbed into the end of the block. All of the ones I have seen were blue. Disconnect that air line and plumb shop air into the block. Put the coach in level mode, not travel mode, and push the rear raise button.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(06-28-2023, 06:38 PM)Richard Wrote:  If you plug in the shop air and it does not lift coach, then you likely have a PPV issue. Confirmation of PPV issue would look like this. If you plug in shop air and the brake air gauges register your shop air pressure, BUT the supply gauge does NOT, then it is very likely you have a defective or stuck PPV.

A second diagnostic you could run to eliminate issues with the travel solenoid circuit would be to plug the coach into shop air, put the coach in level mode, and press the rear raise button. Again, if you have NO pressure on the Supply gauge then the coach will not raise.

If you absolutely have to force the coach to raise enough to get it into the shop, then do this. Locate the rear six pack of HWH solenoids in the passenger engine bay. On the aft end of that aluminum block, you will find a 3/8 air line plumbed into the end of the block. All of the ones I have seen were blue. Disconnect that air line and plumb shop air into the block. Put the coach in level mode, not travel mode, and push the rear raise button.

That is very helpful. Thank you so much. I will look into this today! I really appreciate your help!

If you access the 3/8 blue line on the end of the manifold, you could also put a tee into it. If you did that you could air up the coach bypassing the PPV.

Of course you could do the same at the 120V compressor but it’s locked behind the airless slide out.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad