You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Portable Generators

After last years trip of all failures, I decided to pack a small generator on board. Before my last trip, I bought a new harbor freight 2000 watt inverter generator. When we made it to NM, my main generator refused to start so I pulled out my new harbor freight backup. Of course that failed to make any juice. Learned my lesson. Spend the money on something that gets 87% + positive reviews. I purchased this Honda EU2200i at Camping world where they had it on sale for $1099 last week. That is the best price I have found for a new unit. It works great and along with it, I picked up a 3 gallon tank and extended run kit. I ran the generator to see if it could power the inverter but alas, it is just not enough if I keep the a/c's running with battery assist despite setting the inverter to accept no more than 13.5 amps. I might do another test since I had a large battery maintainer/charger plugged in that was outside of the inverter's load calculating draw. Does anyone else carry a portable? Wondering if I should pick up a second unit to pair up with this one.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

My preference is to rely on the main generator. When I had 5th wheel campers I did have a Honda 3000 and still have a Honda 4000 which I have not used for many years. I would repair/replace the main generator.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

I carry two of the Honda 2200's. They can be bridged to give you something close to 30 amps. Keep in mind that at start up, many of your appliances take a lot more current than while running. So power management is essential. You may be able to run one A/C unit on this, but it will take half of its capacity.

Another thing that helps is replacing all of your lights with 2700k LEDs.

Good Luck!!

Regards,
Bob

BTW, I'd be interested to know why the generator wouldn't start, once you get it running.

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

Hi Bob, I did get the generator running reliably. There is a broken circuit coming from the generator mounted hour meter that died 600 hours earlier over the interior mounted meter. I could not get to the wiring unless I hoisted out the unit. In the meantime, I bypassed that meter and installed a separate switch to energize the fuel rack solenoid relay using the existing 12v power source. The Honda generator is to keep the 30kw of lithium battery bank charged up in the event of a failure. I do not expect it to run anything else for what it is but I was still impressed at its capabilities. My coach is all LED.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I carry a 20 year old Honda 2000. I use it boondocking to keep the batteries charged without running the main genny.

This all works fine when I am not wanting to use the AC.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

Have been using a Honda 2000 for 5 years when boondocking. Runs our basic systems, and in a pinch can run one A/C unit. Runs 6-7 hours at low idle on a tank of gas. Bought on eBay used for $400. Started first pull when I unpacked it.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

(06-30-2023, 06:08 PM)whatsnewell Wrote:  HaveRuns 6-7 hours at low idle on a tank of gas. 
For that 6/7 hours you're just charging batteries? 

That's what I'm doing.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

(07-03-2023, 04:28 PM)TJ Clark Wrote:  
(06-30-2023, 06:08 PM)whatsnewell Wrote:  HaveRuns 6-7 hours at low idle on a tank of gas. 
For that 6/7 hours you're just charging batteries? 

That's what I'm doing.

I only run it if there is no sun, or it's raining, so yeah.....charging batteries.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I had to set my Victron Quattro to accept only 15 amp shore power. When I did that, the little Honda runs well. it will supplement the solar and allow me to run 2 ac's for three days as an assist to the batteries. I bought one of those extended run kits with a 3 gallon portable boat fuel tank. I have to fill it at the end of the day but can get maybe 10 hours run time at full load to the three gallons. I wouldn't use the Honda as primary battery charging since I have the big generator but it's good to know it will work and keep all my creature comforts going. Of course I can change the shore power input back to 50 for either main generator or shore power plug in. I will add another 455watt solar panel on its own controller this week. It should realistically give me a conservative 300 watts added power. That's the best I can do but will need to remove the TV antenna off the rear roof to fit this panel in.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Yes, its good idea to carry a portable generator, and foldable solar charger.

Today is July 4th, happy holiday! And I just found that Amazon has some sweet deals on bunch generators this holiday (but not on Honda EU2200i).

1) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BLGZT9B9/ priced at $599, coupon $290, net price: $309, comes with 5 years warranty.

2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HBYH8GB/ Price: $599, coupon $100, net price: $499, 1 year warranty

3) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Q61WVYJ/ Price: $899, coupon $100, net price: 799, ? warranty

It seems at least the 1st one, NEXPOW 2250w beats Honda on price, weight and warranty, but may slightly louder (58dba vs ~53 dba)

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control