You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Electrical outlets

Just got back from a long weekend in the Blue Ridge Mountains.  I had two electrical issues while on the trip. 
1. No power to the microwave. First, I checked to see if the breaker was not tripped. Nope it was fine. I then pulled the panel cover above the microwave and tested the receptacle and found out I had no power. Just for kicks and grins, I plugged the microwave into an extension cord and then to a different receptacle. Micro worked fine. The microwave is on a breaker by itself.

2. Next morning, went to make coffee. The regular plug in for the coffee maker is the receptacle on the underside of the upper cabinets. Again, no power. Checked to see if the breaker was tripped and found that it was not. 

I then checked every other receptacle in the entire coach, and they all worked. 

Strange that these two would go out at the same time. Can't remember a trip where we didn't use the microwave or the coffee pot (using the previously mentioned receptacle).

Any electrical leaning Gurus care to take a stab at this? Coud it be bad breakers?  

Thanks

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

I would check the inverter. Typically the microwave and one of the outlets under the upper cabinets are run through the inverter so you can use them without shore power or the generator running. HOWEVER, that would also be true for the TVs which should also be operated through the inverter. Make sure the inverter is turned on and that any breakers on the inverter are not tripped.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Wow, how embarrassing is that? Nice call Michael. Didn't even think about the inverter. Just went and checked. It was off. Turned in on and wouldn't you know it, I now have a working microwave and a convenient place to plug in the coffee maker.
I will say that the TV worked fine all weekend, which is a good thing. We had some crappy weather, so we spent some time watching.

Appreciate the help.

Tony

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

What Michael said. If your coach is like mine, Newell in those early years took the TV, Microwave, coffee maker and fridge and combined those to a single 3o amp SO cord which has a large crimp combining all those tucked next to the main panel. Oh, the vanity light circuit too is on that. (if you have 120v vanity lights) Check for a thick black cord with 5 romex circuits crimped together. One may have let go in that pile.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I love these no-cost fixes! I used to think "How long is it going to take me to figure this one out?"
Not so much anymore after being on this Guru site for a few years.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

This site is the has been my life now for almost a year, the info here is priceless.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas