You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Solarification

My trivial input is IF you are thinking about retrofitting with minisplits you will need true 220 out of the inverter(s) since I don’t think you can get the total BTU cooling required using 120V.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Good point Richard. Thanks.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

(08-02-2023, 12:39 PM)TJ Clark Wrote:  I have been looking at the Victron Energy - MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 2x120V It has passthrough, it joins L1 and L2 when shore power is below 50 amps. If the house loads are less than available shore power then it charges batteries. If the house loads are greater than available shore power then it adds in the battery.

TJ, how much pass through current does that inverter handle?  Is it enough for what you need?  You don't plan on running your air conditioners off of a 3000 VA inverter directly without the generator or shore power do you?  It seems like it might be not be big enough if you do.

My first thought is my existing Outback is dated and showing signs of failure. It has limited connectivity and the interface device is like programing an Altair. 

The Victron will pass through the entire twin 50a legs. It combines L1 and L2 when less than 240v/50a split phase is supplied. 

In my almost 2 years of mostly full time in this coach I find that the inverter powered circuits fulfill 90% of my needs. I run the genny for drying clothes, or AC while driving. I try to park where I have no need for AC when I do park where AC will be required I find a 50a plug, or move on to a more hospitable environments. 

I learned earlier this summer I can run 2 basement AC's both on low (single compressor) on a 30 amp supply. When I power down most other loads. Doing that with the Outback that has no passthrough. So I am thinking this should be better with the Victron. Need to do more research on how the wiring will work best for me. 

No I was not initially thinking of having the entire coach run off battery/inverted power. My thought was a better more efficient inverter charger that has good connectivity to the other parts of a solar/battery system.   

This Victron unit can be part of a dual inverter split phase system. With that in mind I am leaning toward installing one as a direct replacement of the Outback I have. If I decide to go dual inverter split phase I'll have a head start. 

I want to swap out the AGM lifelines for equal or greater amount (wat hours) of lithium battery, for the soul purpose of shorter charge times from the 20kw genny. Currently I need about 6/8 hours to top off the AGM's, this is with my Honds 2000i running all day powering a 10a charger. 

I am currently dropping to 11.2v on the AGM's overnight. So I run the genny for a few hours in the am and a few in the pm. I would like to cut that genny time in half if I can. 

(08-03-2023, 02:20 PM)Gnawrocki1 Wrote:  TJ, how much pass through current does that inverter handle?  Is it enough for what you need?  You don't plan on running your air conditioners off of a 3000 VA inverter directly without the generator or shore power do you?  It seems like it might be not be big enough if you do.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.