You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Horses or Zebras

Ok, so I have a trip coming up in two weeks so I went up to the coach to work on a few things so that hopefully there is no last minute drama.  Coach always holds air in the rear pretty much indefinitely so when I go to pull coach outside and around the building I get out and look at front mudflaps and they are up so I pull out and around.  

As I cross over a little transition very slowly I noticed it was a little rougher than normal.  Get parked and walk to back of the coach and it’s what I think is on the ground.  I’m stumped as that has yet to happen.  Hadn’t worked on suspension, etc. so the ol what was the last thing you did reminder was not helping.  Had power to solenoids, lowered coach entirely and attempted to air up…didn’t help.

So I call Bill-Net for a little guidance.  We talk through things and try a couple other things.  Then there is this story about zebras and horses and while I think in got the point my mind was all over the place.

So we figure out that it would raise…but only about 1.5 inches.  Bill asks which position the switch is on the dash that puts more weight on the drives and I said I didn’t know as I haven’t ever messed with it and while fiddling with it sure enough it was in the down position which raises tag to put more weight on drives.  I must have bumped it when fiddling with my front shade (different thread for that problem).  

Flipped the switch to the middle/neutral position and sure enough she raised right up.  Really not sure how long that would have taken me to figure out on my own so hopefully this thread will help someone else not make this same silly mistake.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Brad,

That little switch has caused more issues than practically any other switch on the coach. The switch that wins for the most confusion is the AC/Heat switch that limits the current draw.

Interesting write up and thanks for Richard for first coining the phrase…. “When you hear hoofbeats behind you, the first thing that should come to mind is horses, not zebras”. (Or something like that).

I was sharing the zebra story with Brad when suddenly that switch popped into my head. Sure enough it was a horse and not a zebra.

Congrats on having a zero cost fix!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

The 95 we had used a momentary switch in the tag circuit. The 99 uses a normal three position switch that clicks into place. I found out the hard way that if left in ‘release weight on tag’ position long enough, the air bags for the drive will NOT support the weight of the coach, and you will custom groove your tires.

Yeah, there is supposed to be an annunciator light on the panel, but mine does not work.

I really do think that switch should be momentary. I am going to add that to my ‘list’.

Glad it was an easy fix.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, I swapped out all my dash indicator lights with LED versions sourced from Digikey. Some of the original lights never worked. Only downfall I see are the turn signal lights are blinding but I won't forget them on!

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChc...Qx6BAgOEAE

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Yeah, I have a bag of 12V mini LEDs to do the same. It just hasn’t rolled up on the list yet.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

That switch put me in a frenzy, on our coach there is a beeper that sounds off when its not in center position and we just had the tag axle bushings changed out in Orlando and my GPS had me going places I should not have been so I was a wreck with the beeping and traffic, called Steve Denton and he rescued me and told me to check it and yes it was in the up position one of the employees at Josam that changed out the bushings left it in the up position.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas