You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

amana fridge replacement

Well I have worked on my Amana fridge. Think I got it working good again. According to some notes scribbled on the back of the fridge the compressor and cooling unit were replaced. So I found that the fans for the fridge are going out, there is more to this story by the way. I replaced both the internal fan that blows air from the freezer to the fridge portion, and also the condensor fan that pulls the heat out the bottom. So I have had issues with water coming out of the fridge when we are traveling. So I pulled the fridge back out and noticed that the drain was not working for the evaporator core. It was overflowing and running out the door. Think this has been a problem since they replaced the cooling unit, it has rotted the cabinet front off the door below the fridge. The other reason I think it happened when the cooling unit was replaced because I ended up blowing out a rusty screw out of the drain tube, same screw that was missing for the metal cover that goes over the evap in the freezer section. That did the trick and now water is flowing into the drain pain under the fridge as it’s supposed to. I am sure I will eventually need to replace the fridge but for now it’s working great. 
Oh yea, the rest of the story is that I believe the inverter is not doing these motors any favors. We ran the ceiling fan while dry camping and the fan motor was not happy running on the inverter, I would gather it’s a modified sine inverter based on the growl. I think this is also not doing any favors for the fans or the compressor motor on the fridge, so I will be upgrading the inverter at some point to a true sine inverter. 

Here is the fan motor I made work for the freezer section, was not an exact match but was able to make it work:
https://a.co/d/9RjxWHC

Here is the fan motor for the condenser found under the fridge in the back, this was an exact fit:
https://a.co/d/eHLKeWM

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

That is good info, Jeff! I typically prefer to repair rather than replace a good quality appliance. Thank you.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Good to see a repair rather than replace!! Those older Amana refrigerators are really good. In my old coach, my Amana had a magnetic heated door gasket and was a great refer. What a difference a cleanup and new fan made. Back in the day, appliance repair used to be a business on its own. Too bad appliances are made so cheap today.

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

(04-02-2024, 07:36 AM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  That is good info, Jeff! I typically prefer to repair rather than replace a good quality appliance. Thank you.
I agree, as long as the bones are good these things are worth repairing. Much better made than the new stuff, may not be as efficient but there's always a trade off. 
As I said, mine had a new cooling unit put in it not too long ago so it cools great and evaporator and condenser all look to be in good condition.

(04-02-2024, 08:46 AM)xGE_97 Wrote:  Good to see a repair rather than replace!! Those older Amana refrigerators are really good. In my old coach, my Amana had a magnetic heated door gasket and was a great refer. What a difference a cleanup and new fan made. Back in the day, appliance repair used to be a business on its own. Too bad appliances are made so cheap today.
Yea, I did have to clean the coils pretty good. The previous owner had a dog and the coils were pretty dirty. Gave them a good cleaning while I had the fridge out. Hopefully this will go a while longer and I can concentrate on other projects first.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Would have liked to keep my original but cost way more to fix than a new one.

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides
Detroit Diesel  series 60   turned up to 745 hp