You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Toad Alignment Effect on Coach Handling

For the long time readers of the forum, I deserve it, go ahead and roll your eyes at yet another Richard post on fine tuning the handling. I know, I am OCD. I am also a bit slow on the uptake.

We are 6000 miles into this trip, and every since we have left home in April, I have had the impression that the coach has never handled better, and I am speaking with regard to holding the lane. The least course correction that I can accurately remember in owning this rig for 9 years and all of the improvements and adjustments I have made. 

Curiously, I did NOTHING over the winter to the suspension, tires, or any other adjustment that I could connect to the improvement in “wander”. Don’t get me wrong, I had the coach to the point of driving really well, so the change I notice is more of a 2% improvement, not a 20% improvement. Why say that, cause I don’t want you to think my following comments are a major contributor to handling.. They are more related to a change to an already dialed in setup. 

It hit me that I had made a change over the winter, but not to the coach. I had the Subaru aligned, and I specifically told the alignment tech to set it up to the maximum toe allowed in the specifications. Don’t center in the specs, set it at the max toe. Why did I tell him that? Although the Subie is 4wd, it is primarily front wheel drive. Front wheel drive cars are set up with the front actually toed out a bit. The reason for this is the force of the front wheel drive pulls the tires inward resulting in toe in while the car is under power. However, that force does not occur when towing the car. My logic was that if the toad were toed out when pulled, then it would track side to side like a toed out vehicle is prone to do. 

I saw the set up sheet. The dude did as I asked. I forgot about the alignment till the other day, and the A Ha moment hit me. 

Again, this was a subtle improvement to an already well driving coach. But if you are towing a front wheel drive vehicle, it is something to think about the next time you have it aligned.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )