You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Electric Cord Port/Hatch for Grill etc.

Looking for suggestions for running an extension cord through the floor of a cargo compartment?  I have no external power receptacles and want to have a way to run power and keep critters out.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

I don't know if your coach has drains in the water bay, but if you can get an outlet there an extension cord will certainly go out there.

They also have plugs that could go into your buddy plug that convert to 110 outlets....but watch out that you have proper circuit breakers...

You might be able to add a circuit in your power bay and come out the shore line cord hole.

Hope this helps

Jim,

Here is an option Gnawrocki1 (Glenn?) is referring to. This seems like a good option for me as well because I don't have an outlet on the street side of my coach. And there isn't a need to drill through the floor since there is already a slot for the main power cord to exit.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-LED-Lit-Generator-Splitter/dp/B07WRT31M1?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A1AMUYYA3CT6HJ

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

The Buddy Plug is a good idea that I hadn't considered. Since we use the generator when cooking outside on the Ninja Woodfired Grill, the Buddy Plug would work for that. It is also powered when plugged into campground 50 amp and 30 amp, I just tested that.

Jim

Optionally, take a look at marine fittings for fuel or water or?.  They have screw in plugs to seal out dirt & water when not needed.  You can plunge down through one of your bays (planning carefully) that has power close.

2 cents!

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

(09-05-2023, 10:39 AM)bestgenman Wrote:  Optionally, take a look at marine fittings for fuel or water or?.  They have screw in plugs to seal out dirt & water when not needed.  You can plunge down through one of your bays (planning carefully) that has power close.

2 cents!
That was my original idea but the Buddy Plug is worth trying now that I have been enlightened.

Jim

(09-05-2023, 03:48 AM)hbens Wrote:  Jim,

Here is an option Gnawrocki1 (Glenn?) is referring to. This seems like a good option for me as well because I don't have an outlet on the street side of my coach. And there isn't a need to drill through the floor since there is already a slot for the main power cord to exit.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-LED-Lit-Generator-Splitter/dp/B07WRT31M1?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A1AMUYYA3CT6HJ
That is a good idea, that specific product is poorly executed in that both 20A plugs are connected to the same leg.  I believe it would be better if each plug was connected to a different leg.  The price is certainly reasonable and it would generally do the job.

Jim

This has been a learning post for me. I made a 110V plug to adapt to the buddy plug. Without really thinking that the buddy plus has neither circuit breaker nor GFCI. Since that plug is mostly used for powered tools and the like, a GFCI should be a must. I will build a box with CB and GFCI wired into the circuit.

Thank you so much for the info.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Heck, I liked my idea and I bought one with 2 circuit breakers built in with 4 outlets for $35 on Amazon earlier today.  

https://www.amazon.com/MECMO-Distributio...hdGY&psc=1

It does not have GFCI, but I should be OK with other GFCI extension cords I have around.

(09-05-2023, 02:56 PM)Gnawrocki1 Wrote:  Heck, I liked my idea and I bought one with 2 circuit breakers built in with 4 outlets for $35 on Amazon earlier today.  

https://www.amazon.com/MECMO-Distributio...hdGY&psc=1

It does not have GFCI, but I should be OK with other GFCI extension cords I have around.
I asked a question about that product on Amazon earlier to see how it was wired.  It looks good if it uses both legs of the 50 amp.

Jim