You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Basement airs

How concerned should I be about the basement air units??  I have been told they are outdated and replacement parts are non existent.  Is the only option to add roof airs?  How costly is that, or is it even possible?  Coleman makes a basement unit, can this be used as a replacement?  …..????   How does this affect purchase price?  What would I need to be prepared for?

Sue Fitzgerald & Chris Pinkston
514 Americas Way 6131
Box Elder, South Dakota  57719

I'd also like to hear some opinions about basement air. I walked away from a very nice deal on an older Prevost conversion because of the CruiseAir units.

Tom Gauger-Dave Snyder
'01 Monaco Exec 515 Cummins ISM
'17 Chevy Colorado Toad
Shermans Dale, PA

Tom,
I still have my original basement air units. They are the later SCS ones. a Single and a dual unit were installed. I had to source a new control board for the double unit as it was cooked from high amperage draw. Once the new one was installed all was fine. I have several spares for both single and double units, but they are quite repairable. if you search here on newellgurus you will find lots of posts regarding keeping them running. There is nothing fancy about them, just regular AC units. If you need someone to service them because you cannot (or do not want to) service them yourself the tough part is convincing them they are "regular AC's" Once that is done, almost any HVAC person can work on them.

Many other owners have pulled them out and replaced them with, far more efficient, mini splits. Now that you can purchase ones that fit with existing ducts, this becomes a GREAT replacement option. Personally, I don't want roof units.

There are many threads, with lots f photos, that show various installs. If you decide to go that way, they will save many headaches and reduce the time to get it all working.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

I just repaired both my SCS units.  parts are avaliable thru Newell.  the control boards have been updated and the connections are better. Compressors are easy to find for these units. They have everything. Units are easy to work on and easy to get out. I sweated in freon ports on both compressors on both units while we had them out just in case another low charge occured. Luckily the units work awesome until it get to be over 100 degrees, but heck no ac works good then. JMO

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides
Detroit Diesel  series 60   turned up to 745 hp  

Thank you good to know. I have been told, no parts available anywhere and little to now options

Sue Fitzgerald & Chris Pinkston
514 Americas Way 6131
Box Elder, South Dakota  57719

Chris,
Simply not true. A little work, a little research and everything you need is available. Not everything has to come from newell. Often they are not the best solution, especially given the cost from them vs. another source.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Not true. Use the search engine on this forum

You will find threads with both compressor model numbers and fan motor model numbers.

As Rick said, the hard part is finding someone to do the work, if you can’t do it yourself.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I just went through my SCS units and got them running at full tilt. I went another route and ditched the control boards all together and replaced it all with relay logic and a house style thermostat. Bonus is now I have app control of both of my A/C units. About the only thing I see on these units that would be hard to replace would be the coils, you would have to probably have them custom made as they are a split coil set up.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

I am not sure when Newell started going primarily to roof mount ACs but it was sometime after 2003. If you are looking at 2004 and newer, finding roof airs will be likely. (Anyone correct me if you know better)

On 653 (a 2003) I had two basement double units. They could not keep up when it was really hot outside. Thank you Newell for giving us all the big windows!

I had Newell add a single roof air which was powered by the circuit for the electric BBQ that I removed.

With all five units going, it was plenty cool even on hot days. The cost of adding the unit along with the fancy ceiling treatment to hide it was ….shall we say…. $ignificant!

I would not shy away from a coach with basement units…as long as you know their limitations.

For what its worth

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Toward the end of the 2003 model year, Newell made at least 4 and possibly as many as 8 coaches with roof airs and the remainder with basement airs. #668 a 2003, may be the earliest in the switch from basement airs back to roof airs. #669 had basement airs. I am not sure about #670. #671, the first Newell with the ZF suspension built as a 2004 model during the 2003 build run, had roof airs. #672, 674 and 676 had roof airs but I'm not sure about #673, 677 or 678, which was the last 2003. So as is typically, Newell did not change from basement airs to roof airs at a model year change.

Bill is correct that 2004 Newells and those built since 2004 should have ducted roof air.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com