You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

8v92 breather oil catch me if you can, can

My engine is pretty clean running and never see any smoke even when I am pushing it to its limits on hill climbs. It is pretty clean and oil drip free. Well, except the two breather tubes that run from the valve covers down the sides of the engine and are open to the road. Overall, on our last trip, oil vapors accumulate on the stainless corrugated interior and sit there. Until the AZ summer heat brings all the metals to a boil and the oil thins out. This my good friends, causes some half dollar size oil spots from the thinned oil finding daylight as it works its way down the spiraled interior of the tube. I can't stand leaks of any kind. I get it, it's a bus and they are made to be slobbering messes. I bought a 3 gallon hydraulic pump tank and modified it to work as a catch can. Main purpose is to contain any drips (I'll be dead by the time it collects 3 oz of oil) and not circulate the vapors back into the engine like the boat breather kits do. I cut a blank off plate where the pump would mount to, drilled holes to match the flange and welded in two air vents which are high up. The plate/vent assembly is siliconed sealed to the tank. I punched out two holes for the intake ports on the tank itself and welded in two 1.5" pipe stubs. The original hydraulic oil fill is now upside down and since it had a threaded bung, I reduced it with a fitting to accept a radiator drain and voila!, catch can a'la custom. There are two welded steel supports which secure the tank to the coach chassis via grade 8 hardware since I like shiny bolts Wink  I know, I have an OCD complex, but I promise you guys, it is waning as age progresses. There's only so much I will continue to spend on this relic.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Amazingly clean Simon.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

She is clean for sure.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Wowsa. So shiny! One look under my '86 and I wouldn't even know where to begin. Haha.

Steve and Linda Burleson 
28 years of RVing
Current RVs: 1986 Newell #125 w/2004 Ram 3500
2006 Keystone Raptor Toyhauler 30' stays at the family farm 
Previous RVs: 1989 Rockwood Driftwood 35' gasser
1978 Georgie Boy 28'