You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Big hole in the side of 60 series

Oh no Tim,

Of all the challenges of a big Newell, the series 60 is rarely one of them.

I am so so sorry this happened. This is the outfit I always had in my bookmarks if this would have happened to me. No idea how far you might be from them. Listen to Bill, he learned the hard way how important getting a good tow can be.
https://www.americanfleetinc.com/

Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Know your height, how tall the coach is to relay to the Tow company. Mine is 13 3" and the minimum for any overpass is 13 6". Most tow companies will get a travel permit for over height hauls from the state that will have a permitted path for your destination. The permit, at times, may have the driver exiting an off ramp and then going directly back on to avoid the limited undercrossing at that location.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

(09-10-2023, 06:12 PM)Tim wade Wrote:  Hi Jeff, you are correct. Pretty sure the rod went through the engine wall. Any idea what the damage will be for a new engine?
No, and I could not even begin to guess the price nowadays. It has been a long time since I have seen a complete reman Series 60. I know that Fitzgerald was doing them for trucks, not sure if they would do one for a RV or not.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

In almost twenty years of Newell forums, this is the first catastrophic failure of a S60 that I can recall. I can guess you are busy dealing with getting the coach off the highway, and understanding your repair options.

You might post on a few of the bus conversion forums about a reman S60. Some of those guys are really tied in to the diesel community.

When time permits, I am sure I am not the only one who will be really interested in the autopsy.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Call FL,, in days past you could get reman
60s from dealers

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Hi All, this is where I’m at. A rod went through the engine. Why or how is yet to be determined. The coolant was at around 196 when the oil pressure dropped. I guess they call this hill 4 mile hill. I’d like to rename it 60 series ROD Killer Hill.

I pulled the coach off the interstate one mile to the off ramp with my ford Raptor. Very very slowly.

I have found an engine that has less than 80,000 on a remand about 400 miles from me for $14,000.

Tow will be about $650-$800 going 20 miles to the Peterbilt shop that is going to install the newer engine for $5,000 to $6,000. The manager has already came out to look at it and is happy it is on a slide rail.

Hopefully tomorrow we will be at the shop and on our way to purchase the new engine. They will start the install on Wednesday. I’ll keep you guys posted how things turn out.

New Owner of Coach 530 (1999) Formally owned by and Meticulously cared for by Russ.
I Own two RV Parks.
Acacia in Alamo TX
Lone Star in Dilley TX

Awesome! I love the idea you pulled it with your raptor, did you have the generator running and the air compressor on so that you could release the brakes? Innovation is what it takes to make a bad story not so bad. Sounds like you have everything under control, I felt for you though.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Thanks Jack! Luckily I just installed 3,400 watts of solar and 16,000 watts of lithium batteries and did not have to run the generator. The 120 volt air compressor held up well.

New Owner of Coach 530 (1999) Formally owned by and Meticulously cared for by Russ.
I Own two RV Parks.
Acacia in Alamo TX
Lone Star in Dilley TX

Yea ha! There you go brother!

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Wow, you did great, all things considered. I've been looking since we spoke/text yesterday and I haven't yet found an engine for 20k, let alone installed. 

This happened to my work truck a couple years ago. I had just left the shop where they were doing PM for the prior two weeks, about 30-40 miles down the road, pulling a hill and bam rod thru the block. That was 40k and before everything doubled in price, albeit for a cummins n14

BTW Fitzgerald won't do a bus if they're even building engines anymore which I think they stopped couple years ago when they transitioned into new truck dealerships

Again sorry this happened but sounds like your making it happen

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is