You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Big hole in the side of 60 series

My heart sunk for you when I read your initial post. Really sorry to hear about this. I was so surprised to read this happening to an S60, but I guess anything can happen. My dad drove charter buses for 25 years and the S60 was his favorite. I think his company did overhauls at 250k and full rebuilds at 500k and in all his miles he never had something like this happen. It did happen once with an 8v92, however.

Sounds like you found a great deal on a replacement, so hopefully the worst is now over and you are on the road again soon!

Steve and Linda Burleson 
28 years of RVing
Current RVs: 1986 Newell #125 w/2004 Ram 3500
2006 Keystone Raptor Toyhauler 30' stays at the family farm 
Previous RVs: 1989 Rockwood Driftwood 35' gasser
1978 Georgie Boy 28' 

Hi All. Just wanted to give everyone one an update on Coach #530. I’m finally getting caught back up after this two week engine installation.

The diagnostic from Peterbilt is that a valve broke, fell into the piston. Then split the piston sleeve, then the piston sleeve fell into the rod and had no room for it to go beside out of the side of the block. The general manager said the valves should be adjusted at the first 75,000 miles. This might be something you guys may want to look into with the series 60.

Peterbilt ended up changing me double the original price I was originally quoted of $5,000 to $6,000. They did replace a lot of the hoses. The oil pan was also used off of the original engine and the ECM. I will need to have the new engines ECM re flashed per Newells specifications. The only leak there is now is from the engine air compressor. I drove the coach from Minnesota down to west of San Antonio with no issues. I will probably have Peterbilt ship me the other air compressor.

I did a little bit of testing on my way down. I had the cruise control set to 63. When in 6th and 5th gear the engine will not go over 477 horsepower. When it drops into 4th gear it will go up to 501 horsepower. I am going to ask if this can be limited to 477 HP like in 6th and 5th gear when I have the ECM flashed.

Hopefully this post helps some people and this does not happen to anyone else.

New Owner of Coach 530 (1999) Formally owned by and Meticulously cared for by Russ.
I Own two RV Parks.
Acacia in Alamo TX
Lone Star in Dilley TX

Thanks for the update and heads up
What an ordeal, but glad you've made it thru

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

I'm glad your back on the road but will say you handled everything very well, I got anxiety just reading about it. 

As far as limiting HP I think you might have to put a wastegate in order to do that, when I replaced my turbo after failure I noticed it has no wastegate which mean more RPM more boost but if they can limit fuel that might work but will raise you EGT. Just my thoughts, I have worked on many turbo cars in my past. Or limit RPM in 4th.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Has anyone adjusted the valves? I did not know that was an issue on the S60, thanks for the heads up.

(10-12-2023, 05:35 AM)Gnawrocki1 Wrote:  Has anyone adjusted the valves?  I did not know that was an issue on the S60, thanks for the heads up.

I was reading an old post in a Prevost forum, where the consensus was to ignore them, as at a minimum a Prevost need a closet floor removed in order to do the adjustment. Can you hear loose valve lash in a diesel like you can in a gas engine?

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Thanks Jack. I will look into them possibly lowering the RPMs. Does anyone know a good place to take the ECM to be flashed? I know Richard had his new ECM flashed but he was on the road. When I get the new one flashed I will offer to overnight it to anyone who may need to use it to get you back on the road again.

New Owner of Coach 530 (1999) Formally owned by and Meticulously cared for by Russ.
I Own two RV Parks.
Acacia in Alamo TX
Lone Star in Dilley TX

Guy I would think it would be very difficult to hear. Lots of racket back there, detonation echos everywhere.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Dropped valve, wonder how the valve train faired? I know they had some issues with valve trains on th S60. A Wanderlodge member opened up his to do a tune up and found many of his cam rollers ate up, and one was cracked and falling apart, one of the ceramic ones. 

Glad that you are back going. 

A tune up is on my list of things to do on 490. I am noticing some blow by and this can be a sign that the valves need to be adjusted. I also had some old oil that was overdue for an oil change. Sending the oil out for analysis to see how bad it was.

I have a couple videos of doing a tune up on the Series 60. When you have the valve cover open replacing the button caps if you do not have the unitized ones is advised, as well as replacing the wiring harness, and I usually do all the o-rings in the jake solenoids for good measure.

Video here:
https://youtu.be/RdhLGI_nlek?si=dkeL0eEYjEvf_kSN

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

(10-11-2023, 06:42 PM)Tim wade Wrote:  Hi All. Just wanted to give everyone one an update on Coach #530. I’m finally getting caught back up after this two week engine installation. 

The diagnostic from Peterbilt is that a valve broke, fell into the piston. Then split the piston sleeve, then the piston sleeve fell into the rod and had no room for it to go beside out of the side of the block. The general manager said the valves should be adjusted at the first 75,000 miles. This might be something you guys may want to look into with the series 60.

Peterbilt ended up changing me double the original price I was originally quoted of $5,000 to $6,000. They did replace a lot of the hoses. 

I know it seems like a lot to pay for the new engine, but from my very recent experience's, Thats not bad. I've been told my Cat C15 could be about $20K for a R&R rebuild. I'm currently finishing up a vintage straight 8 engine and getting close to my C15 engine $'s

Also, for Cat C15 owners, its recommended for valve lash adjustment at 100K miles. Mine were all slightly too tight and the lash was adjusted as needed.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.