You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Delete Awnings?

We are going to have our coach painted next month. The awning color is of course, not going to go well at all since it is burgundy. Rather than throw more money in to redoing them $$$$ I am wondering if people just remove them entirely. I have the non powered Girrard shades with the big aluminum supports going down the sides of the coach. It will definitely interfere with the graphics we have chosen. I may leave the hardware in place and have them painted over to match. What do you guys think?

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I like my awnings very much, especially Zip Dee manual awnings and most especially the window awnings. I might be able to get by with on patio awning but I gotta have my window awnings on all windows.

Do what makes you happy but no awnings lessens my interest in purchasing a coach a lot.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

They help keep the coach cool.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I should add that burgundy will not work with the blues we are going with! Of course funding to redo these will be non existent.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon, go to Sailrite.com and look at the selection of Sunbrella awning fabrics. You can probably buy the fabric for the awnings for around a 1000 bucks. If you try to buy new awnings from Zipdee you will spend a fortune.

They are not hard to fabricate if you can sew.

I agree that the awnings provide some much appreciated cooling shade.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Well Simon, Fly with Burgundy awnings till funding is available. Being cool in temp beats being cool in appearance.

Rudy Legett
Southeast Texas Area

(09-16-2023, 04:50 PM)Trainer Wrote:  Well Simon,  Fly with Burgundy awnings till funding is available.  Being cool in temp beats being cool in appearance.

Rudy, That's exactly what I suggested...great minds
How are yall doing and is that your new coach?

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

From the small pic, your coach looks beautiful Rudy!

The issue is they will be removing the awnings to paint the coach. Just thinking that if they come off, I'd leave them off until I get new coverings to prevent scratching the paint. I can't sew. This would have to be farmed out entirely. This is why I was thinking it's gonna be costly.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

If your awnings are like Zip Dee there is a channel that screws into the coach across the top for the awning material to slide into from the end. Attaching that channel offers the most likely chance of scratching the coach. I would leave that channel attached if u plan on having awnings reinstalled. Tape off the valley of the channel to avoid binding when the fabric is installed. The brackets on the side of the coach should come off easily.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Simon, sure wish you the best making the decision on the awnings.

And, yes, that is my new to me coach. While not a Newell, it fits us to a "T". Thanks for the compliments.

Rudy Legett
Southeast Texas Area