You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Why isn't the tag axle straight axle?

It seems to me that the independent left and right tag axle to be a major pain in the rear. Out of curiosity why didn't they just use a straight axle with airbags? Is it for a ride comfort?

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(09-18-2023, 01:45 PM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  It seems to me that the independent left and right tag axle to be a major pain in the rear. Out of curiosity why didn't they just use a straight axle with airbags? Is it for a ride comfort?

So Wanderlodge uses a "straight" axle, but its anything but, it has to dip to go around the drive shaft. I was actually thinking the other way around on why Wanderlodge did not use the tag axle like in the Newell. 
I am curious as to what your issues are?

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

None now but it seems to me it would be a lot less complicated to have that U go under the drive line, the transmission is lower than anything back there I think.

Gravette, Arkansas

(09-18-2023, 02:26 PM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  None now but it seems to me it would be a lot less complicated to have that U go under the drive line, the transmission is lower than anything back there I think.

Still have issues, I had to replace the bushings on my tag axle on my Wanderlodge. My shocks were dragging on the frame rails, that's how I realized something was not right. I have a video on replacing the bushings on the tag.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Thumbs up! I guess I'm just tired of being under the rear of this thing and while there thought I had a better idea. Smile

Gravette, Arkansas

My '93 has a u-bent one piece tag axle. I think Newell just went with the modern changes as models progressed

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon do you have tag axle problems? Steer straight?

Gravette, Arkansas

She runs nice and straight. I used to have to fuss with the wheel as it seemed there was excessive play. I futzed around with the steering pinion adjustment screw and took up almost all of the slop. Funny how the tag axle also had way too much pressure since the adjustment air valve was no good either. I replaced that and set it to 25psi (recommended pressure for my coach) and it too makes the ride feel more softer. I did so much on this since our last major trip. Looking forward to shaking the cobwebs going down the highway at 70 once again.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312