You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator Lift Pump Connection

Does the generator lift pump pull from the bottom of the auxiliary tank or through a dip tube from the top?  Switching to an electric fuel pump and can’t figure out which connection to use.

Tim K 1986 Classic 40’ #121

The generator feeds from bottom of auxiliary tank on our '86 .
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Hmmmm, you have an aux tank. Which may be very different from the single tank used later.

On the single tank setups, the gen and the AH pull from dip tubes, there are no fuel connections on the bottom of the single tanks.

If you have fittings on the top of the tank, one will be for the dip tube, and one will be for the return. Here is a quick way to tell which is which. If you blow air into the dip tube, you will hear gurgling in the tank, if you hear nothing but air flowing you are blowing into the return.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I have a 217 gallon main tank and another 60 gallon aux tank. The genny draws from the smaller tank. I can float them together through a line connecting at the bottoms by opening a valve. Sounds likely that the connection on the top is the suction line with a dip tube and the one at the bottom is the return. Main tank is set up the same way

Tim K 1986 Classic 40’ #121

68 gallon ( per build sheet ) auxiliary fuel tank , in need of clean /paint . Green tubing to overkill fuel/water separator and on to generator lift pump .
There may be a vertical tube inside the tank to prevent the generator completely draining the tank. 
The main tank has a dip tube on passenger side that feeds the main engine via a separate fuel/water separator . There is plumbing off the bottom of the fuel tanks that allow fuel transfer if desired,  an inline ball valve is used . 
I had problems with the lift valve about 3 years ago , temporarily used a Mr Gasket 12v diesel pump until I  got the correct Perkins pump .
Chris     

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand