You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tire Pressure Check

As I am going thru and creating my maintenance log for coach 385 I was checking the date codes on the tires.  I looked at the air valves for the tag tires and was a little perplexed.  Now that does not take much, but how am I easily supposed to check the pressure in the outside tire, and why do they run the Shrader valve back this way.  The cap does have a spring loaded center section, I am just not sure why.  New to pushers and Tag axles.  Also would like to get a TPS monitor unit.  So here are my questions:

What is needed to check pressure?  Is it just a double headed pressure gauge?  Of coarse I have a nice single headed one.
Do I read thru the spring loaded cap or remove the cap as normal.  Not sure if I can get my sausage fingers in the little hole that easily.
What TPS system will work with this set up as is, or does something need to be changed?
What is a air multiplier when filling tires up, to get over 110 PSI if needed?  Is there an alternative method.

[Image: CqCsBdf1m5ZXC9kG6]
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CqCsBdf1m5ZXC9kG6

The link is to a photo of my tire.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karl and Lisa G.
Coach #385
Toad - Not ready for that yet Confused

Mine is that way too. I can't get my double headed air chuck gauge to fit through the wheel hole. When I was at the Newell rally I asked the Newell techs to check the tires. I am not sure if they did or not as we were on an excursion. It is on my list to take the coach to a tire shop and have them align the stems to the outside of the wheel where I can get to them.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I can answer your first two questions.  Here is the pressure gauge that I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KYB...UTF8&psc=1.  You holes look a little smaller than mine though. The spring loaded valve cap...you will read you pressures through the cap leaving it in place.  I use these....https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014VCY3S2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1.  When you get a TPMS you will have to remove the cap.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Mine was the same way, but could still use a double sided gauge and filler on it. When I installed my TPMS I changed out that long stem for a short one.

Absolutely love the Pulse FX from PressurePro.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

We just installed two new tag axle tires and I had my tire guy rotate those stems.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

The reason the valves are installed towards the inside of the axle are because it's always been done that way.
No, really, the big guys (18 wheeler trucks) do it that way so that they can use a spare tire in any position or rotate tires if needed. All of their tires (except maybe the steers?) are the same way.
When getting new tires I had them put shorter valves on the outside tires.
But remember to make sure they change all of the tire valves when getting new tires. I've had it happen twice when getting new tires and had leaks from those. The rubber gasket gets old and brittle and leaks.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I use these and they work well.

Terry Copeland
2007 P2000i

(10-19-2023, 03:16 PM)khgeisler Wrote:  As I am going thru and creating my maintenance log for coach 385 I was checking the date codes on the tires.  I looked at the air valves for the tag tires and was a little perplexed.  Now that does not take much, but how am I easily supposed to check the pressure in the outside tire, and why do they run the Shrader valve back this way.  The cap does have a spring loaded center section, I am just not sure why.  New to pushers and Tag axles.  Also would like to get a TPS monitor unit.  So here are my questions:

What is needed to check pressure?  Is it just a double headed pressure gauge?  Of coarse I have a nice single headed one.
Do I read thru the spring loaded cap or remove the cap as normal.  Not sure if I can get my sausage fingers in the little hole that easily.
What TPS system will work with this set up as is, or does something need to be changed?
What is a air multiplier when filling tires up, to get over 110 PSI if needed?  Is there an alternative method.

[Image: CqCsBdf1m5ZXC9kG6]
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CqCsBdf1m5ZXC9kG6

The link is to a photo of my tire.
YEAH, it's pretty goofy how those stems are installed.  It's done for protection, but what a PAIN!!

This TireMinder gauge is THE BEST quality I've found and does the job perfectly!
https://amzn.to/491NYxL

I went through a whole process, and made a series of videos covering the problems and solutions for this.

A couple notes:
1. EVERY piece of hardware you use, such as a 180º extensions, presents another opportunity for a leak!!
2. ANY TPMS sensor will cause an enormous amount of force and/or vibration which has stressed these "extensions" to the point of failure...sometimes being a major leak.
3. Using top grade extensions COMBINED WITH RUBBER STABLIZERS will greatly reduce the chance for fatigue failure.
4. Air Fitting sealant is a good insurance to reduce chances of leakage.

A truck tire shop can change all this out for, including rotating the stems in the direction you need.

Here's my video to cover this issue:
https://youtu.be/E01QzNegr7Y?si=aZonSCChqaxl3mnV

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

To all,

Thanks for the replies.  I have ordered a digital pressure/fill gauge that I hope will work.  The 180° extensions are a good idea but are another potential leak spot in my mind.  I will most likely have them shortened and spun 180° when the tires get replaced.  The tags are 2019, steers 2020 and drive 2022.  This is when I will add the TPMS.  I am assuming they need to remove tires to replace the valve and that seems like a waste of money for now.  Thank you.

Karl and Lisa G.
Coach #385
Toad - Not ready for that yet Confused

Do they make a in the rim TPMS like on cars?

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312