You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Front End rattle noise

Ever since I have had the coach 6yrs now, There has been a rattle in the area of the right front tire. I have had it looked at extensively at a place in Mesa AZ about 5 yrs ago and they could not find the problem.
The slightest bump results in a racket from that area.
We even pulled off the shock and went for a ride and it was still there.
All the obvious things have been checked, loose items in the area. It sounds like a bad shock sounds on a car but it is not.
The reason for this thread now is that it sounds like it may be getting worse. Anyone out there experience anything similar? Sounds like a bunch of hammers being used at once when it happens. Will probably have it rechecked here in NH in the fall before we head out.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Hi Brad. Did they check the KingPin? They would have to jack the front up to get the weight off of that wheel to check it properly. Do you feel any feed-back in the steering wheel that corresponds with the noise? I'd also check everything in the front storage bays to see if something is rattling in there.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I think they would have but not sure being 5 yrs ago. They had it for a full day. Don't feel anything in the steering wheel. What would be the symptoms of a bad king pin? I have 148K miles on the coach 5 yrs ago it probably had 104K miles. Tires wear nicely.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

I had a noise in the right front for years that turned out to be one of those auto balance rings; or at least the noise went away when the ring was removed.

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

I have had that same sound from the same area for 3 years now. Had the front end checked extensively and nothing was found. It comes and goes. Both front tires are wearing normally. I wonder if I have an auto balance ring, too? At any rate it is somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I had a noise like that on the 74' turned out to be the spring bushings & the fwd mount curbside was loose. Also the rear torsion bar & sway bar bushings were bad had the frame shop replace them. Noise went away.

Jimmy

My rear suspension is Ridewell RAD227. There is a bar that runs from the PS frame to the DS axle and locates the axle from shifting side to side. Mine had tie rod type ball joints that were totally worn out & allowed for some exciting handling. Ridewell refers to this bar as a sway bar. On a car that has this component it is called a panhard rod. A sway bar is a different component that controls roll. On class 8 trucks, this component is called a transverse torque rod.
Just wanted to clairify this & I recommend that these bars be checked.

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

Probally don't have the terms right but I had a similar setup but with bushings. The front axels & setup were Ford.

Jimmy

These are all good things to make sure to have checked out. I am making a list. Wouldn't be a balance ring as they were taken off last fall when I installed new tires.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.