You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Suspected bearing issue in Detroit 60 engine

I will post on the BCM forum.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(11-16-2023, 04:22 PM)glfor1 Wrote:  We don't know for sure; but my mechanic had contacted one of the elder statesmen from Colton Truck in Cali and asked the question whether the alternator had been changed. While there was no history of this; it is the only thing that contains "copper" and is oil cooled. The particulate looks like "droplets" and random sizing like a hot metal dripping being quenched in the oil. Kind of like wax drops into water. On close examination, the current alternator does indeed have every evidence of being changed out at some point. This had to be before 2009 as the previous owner kept good records of major changes to the engine and coach. So somewhere between 2002 and 2009 the alternator must have failed and no one thought to drop the oil pan to check for any debris. They are doing other regular maintenance and hope to be starting her up again in a couple weeks. All else on bearing surface and rocker surfaces were normal and no brass "glitter" flakes evident anywhere. Thanks to all for the input over the last couple weeks and if there is any further surprises, will post it here. ((to Richard: sorry Cliff's phone number is disconnected to do not know anything further.....and....I am not a member of BCM to reach out to him))

jim - Newell 623

Interesting, what alternator do you have, the 50DN? The oil drain from the alternator is not that big, but I guess if the metal was molten when it left the alternator and did not solidify until it got into the pan, that could be a possibility. 

Did some Newells come with the 50DN? Guess it was up to the owner who specd the coach? 
Mine has an air cooled alternator.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Yes some have 50DN alternators.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(11-17-2023, 05:07 AM)Richard Wrote:  Yes some have 50DN alternators.
Guess the statement of no two are alike rings true!

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

And some 60 series have simple tensioned V belt arrangement for the alternator and AC compressor, some have a tensioner and serpentine belt.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Coach 623 definitely has oil cooled alternator. The feed tube is definitely big and short enough for molten material to get through.

Jim & Sherri Thurman
2002 Quad Slide - #623

Home: Clayton, CA

2nd Home: Desert Shores RV Resort, Indio, CA

If anybody gets tired of the oil leaks the 50DN can have, Elreg makes a direct bolt in replacement with a 330A output. I know it’s available in 12V (as I swapped my DN out for one and it worked flawlessly) and am fairly certain it’s also available in 24V

06 M450LXi 3 slide