You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Suspected bearing issue in Detroit 60 engine

I would make sure the turbo spins freely.

Would you mind if I posted your pic on a bus conversion forum. There are a few guys there with lots of engine experience

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard for input. Being a metallurgist myself, I didn't think about precepitation. Certainly possible as the sizes are irregular, and "round" (like bee-bee's). Is there this type of material in filters that could have been bypassed as well?

Jim & Sherri Thurman
2002 Quad Slide - #623

Home: Clayton, CA

2nd Home: Desert Shores RV Resort, Indio, CA

please be my guest regarding re-using pic

I have also advised my mechanic to look at turbo which I believe he is tackling next. Will keep this "thread" updated.

Jim & Sherri Thurman
2002 Quad Slide - #623

I have no experience in the metals world, so take this comment for what it is worth. I would always wonder what the material was after your repairs have been made. It may be that all is well in your engine, and this unknown material has been in the bottom of the pan for a long time, and your rod and man bearings show no damage. I think three first  steps are in order here. Cut open your oil filters, and see if any of this mystery material was picked up by the oil pump. Also send the mystery material to someone who does metals testing and identification  by mail  to identify it.. Could it have been from a previous repair? Lastly, if they didn't discard the old oil, get a sample off to Blackstone Labs. This oil test will be a great benchmark to identify and future changes in the health of that Detroit 60.

With luck, I hope you end up with a new set of bearings, a clean oil pan , and answers to your questions.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Are the valve tappets roller type or just tappet and cam direct contact?

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Will let you know when he accesses the rocker area.

Jim & Sherri Thurman
2002 Quad Slide - #623

(11-09-2023, 08:50 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Are the valve tappets roller type or just tappet and cam direct contact?

Series 60 is a roller rocker engine. Valve rollers are steel and injector rollers are ceramic type material.

(11-09-2023, 07:22 AM)glfor1 Wrote:  Just wanted to post an update and any input from this knowledgeable group.
Here is pic of inside the oil pan as the shop has just taken off. They will be accessing the upper rocker area in the next couple days (not easy). It is accessed from the rear closet. Anyone had experience in knowing what might be "suspect" location of internal issue with this type of "galled" product in the oil pan?

Material is very interesting, not seen something like this in an engine. Appears almost to me like what we see when metal bus vaporizes in an electrical arc fault.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Just a wild guess from someone with zero 60 Series experience,  are there copper/brass parts in the Jake brake solenoids , etc ?

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

I don't know but I'll ask the mechanic.

Jim & Sherri Thurman
2002 Quad Slide - #623

(11-10-2023, 05:07 AM)Tf175 Wrote:  Just a wild guess from someone with zero 60 Series experience,  are there copper/brass parts in the Jake brake solenoids , etc ?

The only thing I could think of would be inside the jake solenoid itself, I would think it would have copper windings to create an electromagnetic coil.  

Will be very curios to see what they find, and hopefully they do find something.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)