You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Suspected bearing issue in Detroit 60 engine

Could this be the coagulation of some kind of engine sealer that’s poured into the oil? The random sizes of those beads almost look like the powder form used in liquid moly engine sealants/additives that may have formed those shapes. Just a thought.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

https://www.busconversionmagazine.com/fo...19.new#new

Here is a link to the bus conversion forum. Luvrbus knows his stuff, I have been following him for over 10 years. BTW, he is in Needles, somewhat close to you.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(11-11-2023, 03:49 AM)Richard Wrote:  https://www.busconversionmagazine.com/fo...19.new#new

Here is a link to the bus conversion forum. Luvrbus knows his stuff, I have been following him for over 10 years. BTW, he is in Needles, somewhat close to you.

Nice Richard! That is Clifford? I have heard about him from many of the bus guys.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Luvrbus is Clifford. I do not have his contact info.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(11-11-2023, 08:50 AM)Richard Wrote:  Luvrbus is Clifford. I do not have his contact info.

I am friends with Cliff. At any given time he will have lots of 8V92's apart in his shop. He is one of the 'good guys' who knows his stuff.  I haven't talked with Cliff for some time. We rode our motorcycles up there and stayed nearby for couple days at a time. A great guy to visit with.

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

(11-11-2023, 11:53 AM)LLittle Wrote:  
(11-11-2023, 08:50 AM)Richard Wrote:  Luvrbus is Clifford. I do not have his contact info.

I am friends with Cliff. At any given time he will have lots of 8V92's apart in his shop. He is one of the 'good guys' who knows his stuff.  I haven't talked with Cliff for some time. We rode our motorcycles up there and stayed nearby for couple days at a time. A great guy to visit with.

I wish some of these guys were on the east coast, would love to visit with them, Clifford and Joe Maser both know their stuff and Joe was nice enough to reach out to me and we talked for hours on the phone, that experience is invaluable to us younger guys who are trying to learn as much as possible about these Detroits.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Do you know his last name?

Jim & Sherri Thurman
2002 Quad Slide - #623

Home: Clayton, CA

2nd Home: Desert Shores RV Resort, Indio, CA

I have sent you a pm. He may not want his info on a public forum.

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

(11-12-2023, 05:11 AM)glfor1 Wrote:  

Do you know his last name?

Any further update on this situation? Would love to know what they have found.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

We don't know for sure; but my mechanic had contacted one of the elder statesmen from Colton Truck in Cali and asked the question whether the alternator had been changed. While there was no history of this; it is the only thing that contains "copper" and is oil cooled. The particulate looks like "droplets" and random sizing like a hot metal dripping being quenched in the oil. Kind of like wax drops into water. On close examination, the current alternator does indeed have every evidence of being changed out at some point. This had to be before 2009 as the previous owner kept good records of major changes to the engine and coach. So somewhere between 2002 and 2009 the alternator must have failed and no one thought to drop the oil pan to check for any debris. They are doing other regular maintenance and hope to be starting her up again in a couple weeks. All else on bearing surface and rocker surfaces were normal and no brass "glitter" flakes evident anywhere. Thanks to all for the input over the last couple weeks and if there is any further surprises, will post it here. ((to Richard: sorry Cliff's phone number is disconnected to do not know anything further.....and....I am not a member of BCM to reach out to him))

jim - Newell 623

Jim & Sherri Thurman
2002 Quad Slide - #623

Home: Clayton, CA

2nd Home: Desert Shores RV Resort, Indio, CA