You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Grand Cherokee Death Wobble Fix

This is a long shot, but figured it does not hurt to ask.  Just bought a '20 Grand Cherokee  to tow and was aware before I purchased it that from '18-'21 you can very easily get a death wobble because of the electronic power steering.  The fix per se is an upgraded wiring harness that keeps power to the steering only while towing so that it can moderate why hydraulic does naturally.  Question number one is are there any members here who successfully had that upgraded harness installed and where did you have it done?  Oddly enough if you called 10 Jeep dealers and asked to talk to the service manager at least 9 of them would say they have no clue what you're talking about and even if they do know they most likely don't have a tech that truly understands how it works as the instructions from Jeep SUCK and are not correct.  Harness still works as it should IF it's installed properly, but it's not for just something a run of the mill tech can handle.  Thought I had this all figured out as Jon Wehrenberg over at Prevost Community went through the gauntlet with his '21 and ended up working with senior management at Jeep before it was all over and along with an amazing mechanic it works to perfection along with a little custom coding required as Jeep botched that as well with the new harness and how it interacted with the steering right after disconnecting from coach.  My best laid plans may have went to crap as I planned to use his tech and dealer, but lo and behold that tech got a better job with the county.  Still might be a work around with him, but I'm looking for other options just in case.

Second question is does anyone have a preferred battery charger that is smart for the of a better term as the steering system uses quite a bit of juice and will drain the battery in short order.  Need something that will not overcharge the Jeep battery.  I believe Jon used something from Victron, but it was I believe 24V because of the Prevost.  Hopefully that a all made sense.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Brad,
I can only comment on the second part of your question. Have been researching a replacement for the Ample Start (no longer available) when it fails and to future-proof the coach's battery types. I came across and zeroed in on the new Sterling 12/12 battery charger, https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/ that would work for the Ample start replacement. One of the things I really liked, the Sterling charges Bi-directional. You may want to look at the specs to see if the Sterling would work in your situation. Disclosure, I have not purchased one as of yet as the ample start is still working on our coach.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

(11-07-2023, 05:49 PM)Latitude 28 Wrote:  Brad,
I can only comment on the second part of your question.  Have been researching a replacement for the Ample Start (no longer available) when it fails and to future-proof the coach's battery types.  I came across and zeroed in on the new Sterling 12/12 battery charger, https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/ that would work for the Ample start replacement.  One of the things I really liked, the Sterling charges Bi-directional. You may want to look at the specs to see if the Sterling would work in your situation.  Disclosure, I have not purchased one as of yet as the ample start is still working on our coach.

Good to know, I'll check those out.  Now solve my first problem will yah.  Smile

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

I had a ‘22 hybrid Wrangler that developed DW at 7,000 miles. Dealers fix was to replace steering damper. Of course none in stock. I traded that Wrangler for a Rubicon with the V6. No DW yet at 14k miles. What I did to was purchase the Roadmaster Easy Steer and installed it. My main point of use was to be able to back the jeep for long distances which it does admirably well. The side effect is that it keeps your steering centered so in theory would eliminate DW. It also gives the Jeep a sportier feel since the electric steering is very numb. Not sure if it will be the complete cure for DW but so far as a side effect hasn’t popped its ugly head. Typically ball joints that go slightly out of spec will throw those wheels in a tizzy. Scary feeling when the front end is going out of whack on the freeway.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312