You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dometic AC replacement compressor

We had some brain storming here when we had the no rally rally about replacement compressors for the dometic split units, if our experiment works people who have these old units will have state of the art inverter compressor heat pumps. Seems to be a lot of interest so we shall proceed. I have a spare inverter compressor heat pump at home to experiment with.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Well not just the Dometic village. The ability to retrofit an SCS unit with inverter driven compressors and fan motors would be SUPER SWEET.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Now thats a challenge, nothing tried nothing gained.

Gravette, Arkansas

I was thinking about inverter compressors for my SCS if they eventually failed. Only sticking point with the SCS units is the coils, if the coils fail I doubt there is any way other than a custom built coil to fix it. So not sure if I would want to stick with the SCS unit after a failure or not. 

For those with roof airs there are new options coming out with low amp draw compressors. 
Check them out here:
https://ecocool.premierproducts.net/prod...XEEALw_wcB

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Jeff,

That unit is showing a 17A minimum draw with a 45A start requirement per their spec sheet. That's not really efficient in the market. Hopefully it's a misprint!

My 10 year old Dometics are better than that.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

(11-08-2023, 02:40 PM)arcticdude Wrote:  Jeff,

That unit is showing a 17A minimum draw with a 45A start requirement per their spec sheet.  That's not really efficient in the market.  Hopefully it's a misprint!

My 10 year old Dometics are better than that.

Yea those numbers make you think but I have been hearing good things about these units.

Check this out, go to about 21min in the video and he compares a 13.5k btu unit and the Gree 15k btu unit in watts:
https://youtu.be/DTcLVN4R5qU?si=SU_SfuHnWDBhAg0E

1300 watts at 120v is 10.8 amps.
900 watts at 120v is only 7.5 amps… that’s pretty good!

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

I would love to know if there is a compressor solution for the Dometics. My 1996 has a dead one and using the other two units sparingly fearing they may tap out at the worst time.

1996 Newell #402
YouTube: Stapleton42
Instagram: stapleton42_

For those of you who have a dometic split units Steve, Gordon and I have discussed using a inverter compressor for a mini split on a dometic evaporator, I have a spare compressor and Gordon has the evaporator so when I get home in the Spring my plan and to make a system out of the coach and see if it works, if it does this will save many people the woe's of failing compressors and lack of parts.

Jeff that roof top unit has to be inverter unit, it has the same start characteristics as all my inverter installs, that will be wonderful for the RV market with all those coleman and dometic roof airs that don't work well and noisey.

Gravette, Arkansas

The Eco-Cool Operating Temp. Range 33°F to 110°F (2°C to 43°C) isn't impressive for us desert dwellers.  I see that with many mini splits also.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Jim with that high of a temp you may have to introduce a swamp cooler to assist.   Big Grin

Gravette, Arkansas