You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Batteries

Currently I have 6 x AGM 8D Batteries for the house side.  I am an all electric coach and do not plan on Boondocking for long periods of time.  The inverter runs the kitchen outlets, mainly the newish AC fridge over night and maybe a coffee pot in the morning.  No heavy loads, no AC's.  I do have solar which can help charge the batteries during the day if not plugged in.  Initially we plan to go to sites with full hookups, so the solar is nice, but not a factor for the next set of batteries or a conversion to a high end lithium system.
The current batteries are "starting batteries" 1450 cca and 480rc and 245 ah @ 20hr.  Currently only 4 batteries are connected as 2 of the batteries are sucked in and most likely shorted internally.  I currently store the rig inside, hooked to 30 amp 240volt.

My question is, Do these batteries need to be "Starting batteries" High amp, short draw period?  Should they be Deep Cycle Batteries, low amp, long draw period?

Do I really need 6 Batteries?  Could 3 be enough with a good quality deep cycle battery?

These agm batteries (O'Rielly) are only 3 years old, maybe I should just put in sealed lead acid batteries.  Seems about the same life expectancy at half the price.

The Guru's Expertise is greatly appreciated!!

Karl and Lisa G.
Coach #385
Toad - Not ready for that yet Confused

I'll be quite interested in the feedback too. We are pole2pole users. Ours was a race coach and only has (4) 8D batteries, 2 house and 2 chassis, so you've already got 3x the house batteries we do.

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

I have a similar set up but no solar. My old xantrex 458 will run the fridge and TV etc. for 3-4 hrs on 2 8D AGM batteries. The batts are approximately 6 years old . That is sufficient for a quiet evening boondocking but I usually run the gen overnight.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

One summer when we had #486 I had 4 of 6 8D batteries go bad while we were heading to Canada. Also was in the process of designing and buying my LiFePO4 system so didn't want to spend any money on more 8D's just to pull them out in a few months.
The 2 batteries just barely managed to make it through 12 hours running the fridge and a few other things. IOW I had to run the generator twice a day or either be driving or plugged in.
But it depends on how you use your coach. It would be fairly easy to do a check and see how long 2, 4, 6, etc. batteries would last for your usage. Mark your wires before you pull any off of your batteries!
Sealed batteries are a much better option over having to constantly check and add water and deal with the corrosion in a typical flooded lead acid battery.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

To answer your question about type of batteries the cold cranking amp sort of coincides with the Amp Hour rating, I suggest the biggest you and afford and the highest AH rating you can get. Never let your batteries get below 12.2 volts, thats where 50% of the AH rating has been used and will damage the batteries, I've heard of people taking them down to the 11 volt range claiming deep cycle but eventually the battery will fail. Make sure your battery connections are clean and not looking like some disease growing on the the terminals and you'll be a happy camper and so will your batteries.

Lithium is a different story

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(11-11-2023, 02:33 PM)khgeisler Wrote:  My question is, Do these batteries need to be "Starting batteries" High amp, short draw period?  Should they be Deep Cycle Batteries, low amp, long draw period?

Do I really need 6 Batteries?  Could 3 be enough with a good quality deep cycle battery?

These agm batteries (O'Rielly) are only 3 years old, maybe I should just put in sealed lead acid batteries.  Seems about the same life expectancy at half the price.

The Guru's Expertise is greatly appreciated!!

IMO you want lithium, if not then a good deep cycle AGM like the Lifeline 8d AGM's. 

Good AGM's and Cheep LIPO4 are about the same cost these days. The LIPO4 cab survive nicely on the same charge settings as the AGM's but a little tweaking to set points available in most inverter chargers and shorten charge time.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

Thanks for the feedback folks.  Not sure if I have a direction yet.  I guess until we start using it we will not know.  I guess we will be Pole to Pole users, and running the Gen while traveling.

Karl and Lisa G.
Coach #385
Toad - Not ready for that yet Confused