You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Jake Brake Module

(01-24-2024, 08:53 AM)Gnawrocki1 Wrote:  I have to ask, on your DDEC display, what is "ABUSE Control     NO" mean?  Is that some sort of limiter?

This was put on commercial trucks to keep folks from running them hard. Not sure exactly what the parameters are but would assume it would limit from going full throttle and running at max rpm etc.. help the longevity of the engine.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

I thought of bypassing the ECM but my luck I’d forget to turn it off and start accelerating with the Jake’s on. Yes, I’m that dumb as I age Smile

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(01-24-2024, 11:33 AM)BusNit Wrote:  I thought of bypassing the ECM but my luck I’d forget to turn it off and start accelerating with the Jake’s on. Yes, I’m that dumb as I age Smile

Could you take the zero throttle position from the pedal to some sort of solenoid that prevented this age related feature?

Or is it best to find out how to program the DDEC ?

(01-24-2024, 12:18 PM)Gnawrocki1 Wrote:  
(01-24-2024, 11:33 AM)BusNit Wrote:  I thought of bypassing the ECM but my luck I’d forget to turn it off and start accelerating with the Jake’s on. Yes, I’m that dumb as I age Smile

Could you take the zero throttle position from the pedal to some sort of solenoid that prevented this age related feature?

Or is it best to find out how to program the DDEC ?

I would try to find someone to reprogram it. My buddy told me that the software for DDEC is out there, so lots of non-OEM folks have it and can do the programming. It’s just a matter of finding the right person to do it. I think my buddy likes to go to quartzite so maybe you could get lucky and see if he would do it. The only thing is, I am not sure when he is getting back on the road, he has his engine and transmission out right now and he is trying to get it all back together again.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

I called Leo and he doesn't have the software for these. I would be forced to go to W.W. Williams in Phoenix and plead my case that they forgot to program/enable the jakes signal out when they rebuilt the ECM for the previous owner. Yeah, Long shot....

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(01-24-2024, 01:14 PM)BusNit Wrote:  I called Leo and he doesn't have the software for these. I would be forced to go to W.W. Williams in Phoenix and plead my case that they forgot to program/enable the jakes signal out when they rebuilt the ECM for the previous owner. Yeah, Long shot....

Is there any paperwork from when the ECM was installed? You might be able to get them to do it, or they may at least help you out on the $$ to do it. Would be worth a call. I am wondering if the jakes were added and not originally on the engine, because they would program the new ECM according to the original build specs.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

I already called and left a message to the one guy I trust there. Engine labels do show jakes. "Jakes see valve mech"

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(01-24-2024, 03:23 PM)BusNit Wrote:  I already called and left a message to the one guy I trust there. Engine labels do show jakes. "Jakes see valve mech"

That's good news, well hopefully you get somewhere with them. If not I will try to reach out to my guy, he is so darn busy.. I really want to learn more about it myself so I can start messing around with the DDEC programming, that would be awesome.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

I took the coach to the Detroit dealer. I was told they would look at it tomorrow. As I waited for my wife to arrive and pick me up they had taken it out of the front row parking spot I left it at and pulled it around the back. I showed the parts guy, Manny I work with the coach and the engine. He took pictures to show the guys he works with. He made a comment on how the engine smelled new! (Fresh paint, powder and ceramic coatings will do that) Since it is there I asked them to check on a creaking noise on the front suspension. I really hope this resolves the issue.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Mine is intermittent too. one thing on my list. Newell is in Indio right now and im looking for an appt. Ill have them look into there hopefully. I did call service and someone told me I probably needed to take it to a mechanic?? Shouldn't they be able to diagnose the issue?

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive