You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

DANA IFS 84 Front End Rebuild

Wow, the collaboration and ambitious undertakings in this group are never cease to amaze me. Thank you for the detailed writeup

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Final Segment, I hope.

I bailed on setting the front end alignment after the rebuild because of my lack of confidence in setting the camber with my digital level. Today, Russ White and I took it over to Josam’s in Orlando for the setup.

First, it drove just fine with the backyard tape measure initial setup. Second, the only real difference that I noted was that a metallic knocking I had in the front end was gone. After seeing the innards of a failed bushing, I am certain the knocking was the metal inner and outer pieces of the bushing making contact.

Josam was efficient, making one small adjustment to the camber, and setting the toe in at 3.3 mm (1/8 for the non metric crowd). It drove just fine heading home.

New 365 tires with beads are smooth as glass. Woo Hoo!

I hope this chapter is closed.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(12-07-2023, 11:00 AM)Richard Wrote:  Final Segment, I hope.

I bailed on setting the front end alignment after the rebuild because of my lack of confidence in setting the camber with my digital level. Today, Russ White and I took it over to Josam’s in Orlando for the setup.

First, it drove just fine with the backyard tape measure initial setup. Second, the only real difference that I noted was that a metallic knocking I had in the front end was gone. After seeing the innards of a failed bushing, I am certain the knocking was the metal inner and outer pieces of the bushing making contact.

Josam was efficient, making one small adjustment to the camber, and setting the toe in at 3.3 mm (1/8 for the non metric crowd). It drove just fine heading home.

New 365 tires with beads are smooth as glass. Woo Hoo!

I hope this chapter is closed.

Glad to hear you are back on the road again. 
I assume the camber adjustment is done with shims behind the A-arm mounts? I was looking at this the other day to figure out how you would adjust the camber.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Yes and you can tweak the caster by only shimming one side of the A arm. That was a new piece of info for me.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Congratulations now stay away from Alaska. Smile

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas