You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Radiant heat floor wiring question

Our radiant heat floor has been non operational since 2009 when Newell had noted it needed replaced. I of course found out the first night of our ownership when I turned it on and nothing happened. My question is where does the wiring enter the tiles? I have checked at the controller and it is an open circuit but I would like to dig a little deeper.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I would try using a cable tracker. They allow you to trace wires without having to actually have access to the wires. I've used mine to trace wires through drywall. If you have a break in a wire it will allow you to locate it through your floor tiles. $27 at HF https://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Excellent idea Jon, I forgot about this method and brought one with me. Will report my findings.

Gravette, Arkansas

Jack,
From troubleshooting our floor heat https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?t...m+readings I am pretty sure the wiring from the controller drops straight down from the double gang box and connects to the mat embedded in the floor.  If you find different please update this post.  For the ohms readings of your mat check out post #8 for some pictures.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Well I found the problem and its not good. After putting my wire tracer I found the wire goes up from the controller to a huge bundle of wire going forward to the front of the coach, I had thought it might make the connection in the bathroom area where the ubatuba tile starts but it does not, the wires come down from the compartment next to the kitchen counter top then to the corner of tile from which it has been cut. My next move is to take out that corner of the tile with hopes to find the wires. From what it looks like a mouse has used that area for going to and from under the drawers.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gravette, Arkansas

Wow, they really dug through that wood! I found some small animal prints on the stainless metal areas of the engine compartment yesterday. Wasn't happy!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Something tells me that no mice inhabit the coach now with the Scruffinator on board.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

No mice in the coach that I'm aware of or the dogs would be on the prowl if they even smell one.

I almost have the tile up I've removed the grout from three sides of it and starting to break it loose from the mortar. In Arkansas for a few days and then resume the project this weekend.

Gravette, Arkansas

I have a box of that tile if you need it

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(12-05-2023, 04:41 AM)Richard Wrote:  I have a box of that tile if you need it
That's priceless

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling