You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator Exhaust Leak & Repair Martin 20KW

I could smell exhaust fumes in the coach this summer, especially with open windows.  I looked at it yesterday and couldn't see anything from the front.  There are very nice thermal blankets covering the exhaust.  Behind the generator is a cover with 4 screws attaching it, once removed there is excellent access.  I lowered the pressure into the generator airbags which dropped the generator a couple of inches.  There was a lot of soot below and under the thermal blankets.  The thermal blankets are held on with safety wire, cut it off to remove the blankets which were filled with soot.  I started the generator and could feel a blast of air coming from the gasket between the turbo & the exhaust flange.  Five nuts are used to squeeze that metal gasket, four were finger tight. When the flange opening was welded to the pipe there was a  burr that kept the gasket from completely squeezing the gasket.  I filed that down and ordered the gasket and nuts from Martin Generator.  My backyardigan winter camping visitor says they always replace the gasket and nuts on turbo exhaust manifolds.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Good find on the bur, I always use the red high temp silicon even on the turbo gaskets also.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Great job Jim.  Not everyone would have found this.  Keep an eye on your turbo out to intake manifold hose.  There is some oil that will work into the hose and it softens it which will eventually become a hole.  It takes a while but does happen.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

My Backyardigan suggested high temp silicon also.  The position of the pipe welded onto the flange is a little off making a good seal questionable with the metal gasket although it must have passed QC at the factory.  I didn't think high temp silicone would hold up to the exhaust temperature coming out of the turbo since it's rated at 650º-700ºF.  What is the flexible exhaust hose made of?  I'm wondering if I should change it while I'm in there?  I attached a photo of the exhaust blankets.

In case anyone hadn't heard of a Backyardigan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim

This is the first I've heard of a backyardigan. I'm a drivewayagain camper at a couple of friends and relatives houses though. Also know as Moochdocking.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

(12-03-2023, 08:36 AM)hbens Wrote:  This is the first I've heard of a backyardigan. I'm a drivewayagain camper at a couple of friends and relatives houses though. Also know as Moochdocking.

My Backyardigan is Moochdocking  Big Grin  Babysitting grandkids we saw some of the series.  With a lifetime of heavy equipment & truck operating and repair he's handy to have around.  He also ran the Iron Dog Race

Jim

I have used two high-temp forms-a-gasket materials with success in marine applications: I use RTV copper at the joint from my headers to my pipes in my go-fast (coming off of supercharged 1100HP gas engine) and a ceramic-feeling paste (can't member the name, but it was something like $165 a tube the last time I bought it) for the joint from the turbo to the collector on my 12-71 TI Detroits. I would recommend the latter in an application that close to the turbo, although exhaust temps from a small yanmar are probably less than what my Detroits are throwing off. Let me know if you need the name and I will make an excuse to go over to the boat and take a picture of the tube (I think it's in the safe or something).

2008 C-15/ZF12
Towing Jeep Gladiator (BluOx/AirForce)

Jim,

Did you access the cover from underneath the coach?  I believe my alternator belt is too loose and needs adjusting.  No way to adjust from the front access door.

Thanks

Rob
2016 Newell #1536

(12-03-2023, 03:25 PM)RobSC Wrote:  Jim,

Did you access the cover from underneath the coach?  I believe my alternator belt is too loose and needs adjusting.  No way to adjust from the front access door.

Thanks
Yes, it's about a 15" X 19" hole with 4 screws attaching the cover.  Exhaust blankets are removed in these photos.  Alternator adjustment looks accessible.              

Jim

(12-03-2023, 04:41 PM)hypoxia Wrote:  Yes, it's about a 15" X 19" hole with 4 screws attaching the cover.  Exhaust blankets are removed in these photos.  Alternator adjustment looks accessible.  

Really appreciate those photos, just what I was looking for.

Rob
2016 Newell #1536