You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Aquahot tank leak

Just when I thought I had all the systems working perfect I seen a small wet area under the aquahot tank where the exhaust comes out. I fixed the first leak last year by replacing the filler neck and thought I was good but this just popped up. Took all the covers off and inspected the heater elements and they are dry but rusty also the filler neck is dry so I'm guessing the tank has a internal leak I don't want to do the job here in Orange Beach so will probably just put some radiator sealant in the system and hope for the best till we return home.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Jack,
Does the tank leak more or less when it's at high temp?

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Can't answer that but I would think it would, its antifreeze and the aquahot is low about 6 inches from the top of the tank so that eliminates the fresh water side and the engine coolant side. My plan was to replace the tank with a single 120v element as we don't use the aquahot for heating the coach but don't want to do it while we are here. $450 for a marine system verse thousands for a rebuilt tank. No brainier.

Gravette, Arkansas

Jack, please call me.  Rudy Legett. 713/818-3234

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Thanks for the call Rudy!

Gravette, Arkansas

There is a guy on the Foretravel forum who has successfully replaced the copper tubing around the tank. Looked like a pretty big job but not impossible. His issue was the copper tubing leaking but it would give you access to the tank to either repair or replace it. You may need to be a member to see this: https://www.foreforums.com/index.php?topic=28387.0
I think the only difference between his aqua hot and yours is Newell uses 2 electric elements.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanks for the link Forest I love pictures and that shows me what I'm up against. Checked it this morning and the leak is still there hopefully it will subside with time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gravette, Arkansas
Wink 

"Just when I thought I had all the systems working perfect"

I've learned to never have that thought as it always causes problems to arise.   Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

No kidding! Learning everyday!

Gravette, Arkansas

The tank has sealed with the stop leak hopefully this Band-Aid the last till I get home.

Gravette, Arkansas