You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator switch won’t start generator ….. sometimes

I feel there is probably a very simple solution to this, I’m just not able to figure it out and haven’t had luck using the search function. Normally, the generator switch above my kitchen will start the generator with no issues. However, on at least 2 separate occasions, I’ve gone to start the generator and the switch does nothing. If I push the switch down to the stop/preheat position, I can see a very subtle light dim indicating, I think, that the glow plugs are heating.  However when I press the switch up to start, there is nothing. No cranking, no lights dim, absolutely nothing. I can go to the generator directly and it will start right up using the switch in the generator bay.  Am I missing something?  Is this a switch that’s going bad?  

Corey Graham
Coach #606
2001 45’ Quadslide
Celina, TX

Pull the panel where the switch is located and check connections, look for off color at the spades on the switch. If you have a voltmeter and comfortable using it check the center contact to ground should be 12VDC then switch to the start position and read the voltage if there is a drop in voltage could be a bad connection at the generator. Gordon will chime in.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Do the driver switch and bedroom switch work as intended?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

There is not a switch in the bedroom in my coach. The driver switch functions the same as the galley switch. This is why I believe it is a sensor or some circuit not allowing the generator to start.

If the switch works at the generator, there is nothing wrong with the controller.

I’m pretty sure you have a GTSS (ground to start, ground to stop, three wire system).
The center terminal on the switch is ground.  Either of the other two are start and stop, they need to touch ground.

So, do what Jack suggested and check the back side of the switch.  While you are there, take the start wire off of the switch and ground it.  If the set starts then the switch needs replaced.

Richard asked if the other switches operate.  If they start the set with no issue then it is likely the switch.  I have seen the wires separate between switches (dash to kitchen).

Edit:  since you state both inside switches have the same issue then the ground to start wire is not connected to the controller.  Check the wiring from the fixed point inside the generator box to the six pin molex style connector on the back of the Kohler panel.   You have not stated which brand you have, I’m guessing it is a Kohler.  Check the continuity of the three wire circuit from dash switch to generator.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

I learn something everyday, ground to start and stop. I need to hang around Gordon a bit longer.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(12-22-2023, 04:23 PM)bestgenman Wrote:  If the switch works at the generator, there is nothing wrong with the controller.

I’m pretty sure you have a GTSS (ground to start, ground to stop, three wire system).
The center terminal on the switch is ground.  Either of the other two are start and stop, they need to touch ground.

So, do what Jack suggested and check the back side of the switch.  While you are there, take the start wire off of the switch and ground it.  If the set starts then the switch needs replaced.

Richard asked if the other switches operate.  If they start the set with no issue then it is likely the switch.  I have seen the wires separate between switches (dash to kitchen).

Edit:  since you state both inside switches have the same issue then the ground to start wire is not connected to the controller.  Check the wiring from the fixed point inside the generator box to the six pin molex style connector on the back of the Kohler panel.   You have not stated which brand you have, I’m guessing it is a Kohler.  Check the continuity of the three wire circuit from dash switch to generator.

Generator is a 20KW Powertech 
I will check the ground to stop/start inside the controller.  The main thing that confuses me is the sporadic nature of the issue. At times it works great. Other times it won’t engage the start circuit.

(12-23-2023, 09:59 AM)Lonestar38ZRC Wrote:  
(12-22-2023, 04:23 PM)bestgenman Wrote:  If the switch works at the generator, there is nothing wrong with the controller.

I will check the ground to stop/start inside the controller.  The main thing that confuses me is the sporadic nature of the issue. At times it works great. Other times it won’t engage the start circuit.

Very interesting. My generator will start from the remote switch regardless of whether the ignition switch is on, but the start stop switch will only stop the generatorif the ignition switch is off. I am baffled.

Tim K 1986 Classic 40’ #121

(04-01-2024, 09:04 AM)[email protected] Wrote:  
(12-23-2023, 09:59 AM)Lonestar38ZRC Wrote:  

Very interesting. My generator will start from the remote switch regardless of whether the ignition switch is on, but the start stop switch will only stop the generatorif the ignition switch is off.  I am baffled.
This is my exact scenario. To add further confusion, after a long road trip to New Orleans and back on Louisiana’s less-than smooth roads, the switches have started working to start the generator as well. The stop function has always worked on both switches. Only the start function was not working.