You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Identify Generator

I am helping the gentleman in France with his 1991 Newell. This was purchased and imported by Puegot’s racing team and was used for many years by them. 

So he is having issues with the generator, it will not start. I have gone through some troubleshooting with him, but we are trying to identify the engine. It has a tag that says Universal Oshkosh, Wi on it with some ID numbers.

I will attach the photos that he has provided me so far and maybe someone else has this generator. 

Thanks for any help.

He is 4 hours away from the bus and had left before I had asked him to try to see if he could find any more numbers on the engine.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

There should be a mechanical fuel rack that is held by a 12v solenoid. If it cranks but won't start, he can try cranking it and manually holding the solenoid to see if it will stay running. Once that part is over then the next will be to see if the solenoid is getting power and if it is perhaps the solenoid needs replacing. If it does run but won't shut off, he would have to pull on the rack solenoid to stop the fuel and the generator will shut down.

These are my simple quick checks. (Of course there's fuel filters and the like to check too)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(01-10-2024, 05:14 PM)BusNit Wrote:  There should be a mechanical fuel rack that is held by a 12v solenoid. If it cranks but won't start, he can try cranking it and manually holding the solenoid to see if it will stay running. Once that part is over then the next will be to see if the solenoid is getting power and if it is perhaps the solenoid needs replacing. If it does run but won't shut off, he would have to pull on the rack solenoid to stop the fuel and the generator will shut down.

These are my simple quick checks. (Of course there's fuel filters and the like to check too)

Yes we have been over the fuel rack and the fuel system. He has fuel to the injection pump but it’s not passing the pump. He has verified the shut off solenoid is working properly. We think the rack inside may be stuck. We are just trying to figure out what engine it is to find info on the injection pump.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Looks like a marine engine

https://www.westerbeke.com/traditionaldi...rators.htm

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

(01-10-2024, 09:37 PM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  Looks like a marine engine. I believe Westerbeke located in MA bought Universal.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

(01-10-2024, 09:42 PM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  
(01-10-2024, 09:37 PM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  Looks like a marine engine. I believe Westerbeke located in MA bought Universal.

Yea that is what my searches seemed to keep leading me to Westerbeke. 
The gentleman is headed back to the bus today and is going to try to get more pictures of the generator.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Like it's frequently said "no Newells are the same". Universal generators were probably more available in Europe so Peugeot spec'd this generator when it was built.
Westerbeke like Dean said should have some info on it. But like any other diesel it needs air and fuel to run. Bestgenman (Gordon) should have some tips also. Good luck!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(01-11-2024, 06:18 AM)folivier Wrote:  Like it's frequently said "no Newells are the same". Universal generators were probably more available in Europe so Peugeot spec'd this generator when it was built.
Westerbeke like Dean said should have some info on it. But like any other diesel it needs air and fuel to run. Bestgenman (Gordon) should have some tips also. Good luck!
Yes, we have figured out that the injectors are not getting fuel, by cracking the injector lines. So we are thinking the injection pump is stuck. Just looking for more information on the pump so we know how the shutdown works and the rack inside. I suspect the rack is stuck from sitting. Some engines have the solenoid pull in to run and some only are pulled when they shut down.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490