You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rear Drag link on tag axle

While having an awesome time climbing around between the drive and tag wheels to do some leak checking above the transmission for an air leak, I noticed a couple of oddities on the drag link bar.  On my coach, there is no zerk fittings on the ball joints at either end and unfortunately both boots have cracked and failed over time.  My plan, such as it is, is to purchase some aftermarket boots and IF the ball joints are still good, to just replace the boots.  If the ball joint is not good, then there seems to be a couple of options.  I could try and have new ball joints pressed in or it is a new drag link bar from Newell ( a little pricey).  

Has anyone else run into this?  Are the ball joints in the drag link replaceable?  Seems like they should be, just like on my old '54 Ford F100...Okay, that may be a stretch.  Has anyone added zerk fittings to the ball joints?

Here is a couple of photos showing the link bar and the boots.

Jerry & Cyndi Hayes
Bella, our Maltipoo Sidekick
2008 Newell Coach #1247, Quad-Slide
2010 Mini Cooper Toad
Phoenix, AZ

Jerry,

I know people have added zerks to various ball joints previously. They drilled through the housing and into the plastic(?) filler. Then they fit a zerk to the hole. It seems to be a fairly straight forward process.

I don’t know if anybody has done a test to see if there’s actually any life span improvement once the zerk has been added.

On edit- I’d add that I would not take the time to try to repair the old ends. There’s to high a chance they’re already compromised.

I’d buy new ends. If those did not have zerks, I’d drill an old one as a test. Then modify the new ones.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

Hello Jerry.

I have coach #744, a 2005 model. A couple of years ago I found that every boot on my steer axle tie rods was deteriorated along with the sway bar link boots, tag center link tie rod boots.  
ZF tie rod "ball joints" are not serviceable. Once the boot deteriorates the tie rod ball joint is exposed to the elements and road debris.

Each component has a fixed tie rod and one adjustable threaded tie rod. On the steer I inspected each "ball joint" carefully, found play that in my opinion was out of tolerance and opted to replace all of the components.
Two steer axle tie rod "drag link" left and right.
Two steer axle sway bar links.
One tag axle drag link/center link

I have posted ZF information to help owners identify the parts however, it is very important that you locate the data plates for your suspension so the proper parts can be ordered.

ZF Suspension Info

My data plates were taped over. I spent several hours compiling information to ensure I was on the right track. I know more about the ZF Suspension and Rear Axle Steering than I care to admit.

I worked with:
Creslie Clark and Cambri Mosley at Newell Service Center
ZF Customer Service in the USA 800-321-0784
A ZF supplier in Florida, Jessica at Precision Transmission 239-693-7477.

Because of the age of my coach, I decided to essentially zero time the control arms, sway links, and tag center link. I've also replace all of the control arm bushings.

I would be happy to discuss in greater detail if you feel it would be helpful. 

Good luck, JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.