You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Trailer Air Brakes

Do most Newell's have Trailer Air Brakes?  1482 had the trailer air brake button next to the coach air brake button.  The conglomeration of pneumatic tubing between the two caused a bunch of air leaks so I removed the trailer brake switch/valve.  It can easily be reinstalled but I can't imagine I will ever need it.

The discussion about the rearmost air tank probably being the trailer air brake tank provoked this thread.  It is very difficult to reach above the transmission.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Jim,

That supplies the rear air chuck; necessary for the Air Force One supplemental/emergency brake system for the TOAD. After the last few years of severe tow problems? I feel the AF1 (or similar) is a mandatory piece of safety equipment.

That said…On my era of coach (2015), Newell wired the power that feeds the 7-pin to ONLY BE ACTIVATED when that Trailer Brake is CHARGED and the Parking Brake is disengaged. Otherwise, you’ll have NO brake/turn signals back there!

This caused me a case of lost hair until I talked to a tech at Newell. Dumb…and the bad thing is, I haven’t met a single other coach owner who’s aware of this configuration, let alone remember to plunge the trailer brake when they Tow!

So, I’m gathering you don’t use the AF1, but if you do…then not only is that rear air chuck dead, but my guess is your 7-pin (at least the brake/signal leads) will be as well.

Let us know!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

(01-18-2024, 10:39 AM)CaptainGizmo Wrote:  Jim,

That supplies the rear air chuck; necessary for the Air Force One supplemental/emergency brake system for the TOAD. After the last few years of severe tow problems? I feel the AF1 (or similar) is a mandatory piece of safety equipment.

That said…On my era of coach (2015), Newell wired the power that feeds the 7-pin to ONLY BE ACTIVATED when that Trailer Brake is CHARGED and the Parking Brake is disengaged. Otherwise, you’ll have NO brake/turn signals back there!

This caused me a case of lost hair until I talked to a tech at Newell. Dumb…and the bad thing is, I haven’t met a single other coach owner who’s aware of this configuration, let alone remember to plunge the trailer brake when they Tow!

So, I’m gathering you don’t use the AF1, but if you do…then not only is that rear air chuck dead, but my guess is your 7-pin (at least the brake/signal leads) will be as well.

Let us know!
That air chuck is dead, I will check the lighting, fairly sure it works.  Here's what the rear air tank feeds on the red engine, unidentified so far.         

Jim

The chuck WOULD be dead if you yanked the Trailer Brake’s Peterson valve. Is that why?

Only airline on my ISX is from the engines compressor.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Yes there is no air there since I disconnected the valve.  Check your valve for leaks, lots of swivel fittings in there with sideways pressure from the air tubing.

The rear air tank appears to be solely used by that control on the side of the engine.  It is electrically actuated and you can see the red metal tubing that is just above it angled up slightly which goes around to the other side of the engine towards the turbo but I haven't figured where it ends up. Yet.

Jim

Those lines had me fooled...sure looked like fluid!

Have you, by chance, ever gone into Cummins QuickServe?
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

When you set your account up you can enter the ESN for your engine and access all the parts, diagrams, and service manuals.

I'm cruising through mine, now, even though our engines look quite a bit different.

I think I've identified that part, though.  It's the "Aftertreatment purge air actuator"...uh...ok...now for more research.

Yup...I'll be darned...more AIR stuff!  And, yes, the line DOES go over to the Turbo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kZljYMRLtQ

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Steve, I could have saved a lot of time this morning had I read your last post.  I went on Quickserve this morning and discovered the same thing.  That rear air tank appears to be used for the Aftertreatment Air Purge and nothing else.  I'll have to update my diagrams.
.pdf Aftertreatment Fuel Flow Diagram.pdf Size: 403.7 KB  Downloads: 10

Jim

Coach 1482 does have trailer/truck lighting with the trailer valve removed.  While being motivated to figure all of this out I finally ran a 1/4" air brake line to the toad coupling.  I just unplugged and capped the original 1/2" line & adapted the coupler to 1/4".  I have the M&G 2.0 which I haven't used since acquiring the Newell; it'll get used now.

Jim

(01-19-2024, 04:14 PM)hypoxia Wrote:  Coach 1482 does have trailer/truck lighting with the trailer valve removed.  While being motivated to figure all of this out I finally ran a 1/4" air brake line to the toad coupling.  I just unplugged and capped the original 1/2" line & adapted the coupler to 1/4".  I have the M&G 2.0 which I haven't used since acquiring the Newell; it'll get used now.

Ok Jim, I’m sorry but I’m a bit confused as to why you removed the Trailer Brake plunger at all?  After all, it’s how that rear air chuck is charged.  And it seems you went through extra effort to bypass what was already there.

I also wanted to show my actuator, as well as the tank that’s sitting above the trans.  Last month, I found an audible leak that we thought was coming from that tank.  But, when my skinny and younger mechanic got up there, we replaced a dozen fittings on…what was supposedly THAT tank.  But now…I’m not wondering if there is yet ANOTHER tank was he addressed and NOT that one in this photo which we’re now believing to be the after-treatment purge tank.

Hopefully, when I get on the rack in a couple weeks, we’ll get this figured out!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

The existing valve was problematic in that all fittings needed replaced and it looked to me to be a continuous problem due to the bending of the air lines in a short distance between the two valves.  I spent less than an hour installing an air line that will never be a maintenance issue, I will never have to check it for leaks or even think about it.  It will only be charged when the brake pedal is depressed.  I also ran it by my Backyardigan who approved and explained how every part of the brake system works.  Unfortunately for me he is leaving for Prudhoe Bay, Alaska on Monday so I will lose a great asset.

I will be interested to see what you find with your tanks.

Jim