You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator won't stay running

since we are all giving our very low cost opinions, i said in a much earlier post. air or fuel.

either that fuse or circuit is preventing the run solenoid from running or the run solenoid or wiring to it is bad.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

So this weekend we traveled North to camp with friends. It was hot outnsominhad the generator running so I could run the AC's. Now as I have told you in this before my temp gauge for the genset is stuck at 150. It ran up to 190 and the genset turned off. I let it reast about an hour and started it again. It ran for about 15 minutes got to 190 and shut off. This morning before we left I decided to open the generator door to see if maybe it was low on radiator fluid. When I opened the door the belt that runs my blower and the fly wheel on the blower were just laying in the compartment. Looks like it just worked its way off. So I tightened it back on and it ran great. Temp hovered around 175 the whole way. So what is a typical operating temperature for these anyway. This 15 degrees does not see like much of a difference to shut off the generator but then again maybe my gauge is giving me bad readings all the way around.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Todd,
Our coaches are 15 years apart, but mine runs about 180 degrees on the dash gauge. VDO gauges are known for their inaccuracy though.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Mine is likely a completely different generator also but mine runs at 180 unless I am running more than 3 air conditioners in which case it runs about 190. Mine has never shut itself off or gotten above 200.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

But now you know that the high temp shutoff works. Smile

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Ya I need to get a good gauge though. When mine never goes below 150 when not running I don't even know if that works. Does the shut off run off the gauge or is that separate from the gauge?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Shut off should work off the temp sending unit not the gauge.

Mine has never shut off even when reaching 240 degrees and then reads HI above that and has run for an hour like that. Most of the time it runs with 2 airs during travel and the temp between 170 and 200....I keep getting little leaks around the cap stem and today used Permatex gas can and radiator fix over the JB Weld that sprung pin holes.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

How do I know what the temp is that is the shut off?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Todd, what specific generator do you have?

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com