You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Losing air to toilets

Thank you, Richard and Russ for the write up. You guys are the true example of “friends helping friends” It makes me proud to be a part of this group.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Russ and Jack made some good points that got lost in my yarn spinning.

One, that HF compressor that was used to temporarily provide air to the potties was AMAZINGLY quiet. So quiet that one could buy the unit and remove the compressor from the skid and use it for a 120V compressor replacement. I don’t know about the longevity but it was very quiet and smooth.

Two, the reason this turned out to be such a tricky problem to diagnose and repair was that it was layered. There was one completely severed air line, and one partially severed air line. This was rare indeed, but with a severed air line you can’t build enough pressure to find the leaks.

Three, as Russ said, the use of listening devices was a huge aid to find some of the lesser leaks once we got the air lines repaired. Even those in the crowd with hearing deficits could hear the leaks with the devices.

Four, Jack brought his box of fittings, and I had mine. Having DOT fittings on site was crucial to the repair. Point being have a collection on board.

Five, although the coach was low mileage, stored indoors for years, and extremely clean. The previous owner(s) for whatever reason did not address air leaks. The air leaks left alone caused the pumps to run excessively filling the air system with water. Both pumps had to be replaced. The wet tank under the coach was newish, and the ping tank over the gen blower had a rust pinhole in addition to being FULL of water. The point is twofold, drain the air system regularly, and don’t ignore air leaks. For new owners, the cascade of costly damage that stems from unrepaired leaks may not be on their radar.

Yes the members of this group are special, any of you would have done the same if you were close by. I hope we always stay that way.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Amazing work guys!!!

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Key broke off in door lock. Has anyone removed the door/panel to change the locks? I have a 2003 Newell 45