You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tire selection

I have used Saliun tires on 3 different rigs. Never had any issues. I have used Michelin’s, Hankook’s. I have used Toyo’s. All have been fine. I personally do not use Michelin anymore, since they age out before they are used up. Don’t see the advantage of spending big bucks on tires that sit most of the time.

I will say for my automobiles I buy nothing but Michelin period. They last and wear well. In fifteen years or RVing, 6 of those years I switched to the Saliun or Toyo.

This all started when I sold a bluebird to a gentleman who worked at the Goodyear tire plant, he said he buys “Chinese” tires. At first I thought he was crazy, then after thinking about it, and he had been using them I thought I would give them a try. Everyone always says I’m not risking it, you’re putting your lives in danger, blah, blah. The Chinese tires that ever had problems were used on overweight travel trailers. These semi truck tires are heavy duty. I think of all the trucks China have on the roads and if they are running them must be Ok.

Anyway I have run them zero problems. Saved a lot in wasted money on tires. I believe the Saliuns are made in Vietnam.

I buy the premium EFT tires, all position, Saliun, or If I can find some Toyo’s I will occasionally choose those.

Just my thoughts.

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

(02-29-2024, 01:28 PM)Johnnyboy Wrote:  I have used Saliun tires on 3 different rigs. Never had any issues. I have used Michelin’s, Hankook’s. I have used Toyo’s. All have been fine. I personally do not use Michelin anymore, since they age out before they are used up. Don’t see the advantage of spending big bucks on tires that sit most of the time.

I will say for my automobiles I buy nothing but Michelin period. They last and wear well. In fifteen years or RVing, 6 of those years I switched to the Saliun or Toyo.

This all started when I sold a bluebird to a gentleman who worked at the Goodyear tire plant, he said he buys “Chinese” tires. At first I thought he was crazy, then after thinking about it, and he had been using them I thought I would give them a try. Everyone always says I’m not risking it, you’re putting your lives in danger, blah, blah. The Chinese tires that ever had problems were used on overweight travel trailers. These semi truck tires are heavy duty. I think of all the trucks China have on the roads and if they are running them must be Ok.

Anyway I have run them zero problems. Saved a lot in wasted money on tires. I believe the Saliuns are made in Vietnam.

I buy the premium EFT tires, all position, Saliun, or If I can find some Toyo’s I will occasionally choose those.

Just my thoughts.

Johnny:
Thank you for sharing your experience. Likewise I stopped purchasing Michelins as got too pricey and put Continental on the steer wheels two years ago and am very happy with them. Interesting that the Sailun's are so inexpensive compared to the name brands; and yet they spec out the same. So your input is appreciated as I am going to install the Sailuns on my drives and tags. Do you recall exactly which EFT? the commercial trailer tire, i.e. S665 etc?
Thanks

Rick Janis
1999 Newell, Coach#538
Cypress Trails RV Resort, Lot#204
Fort Myers, FL 33905
843-367-8487

Yes, the S665 for all position or just rear. I have also used the S605 premium steer for the fronts in the past also, just depending on what they had on hand.

If you remember please put your experiences with these tires in the future. It would be nice to have other documentation of users and likes or dislikes.

I typically think over the years, tire failures are either because a tire looses pressure and blows or a tire is damaged from a pothole or road debris, maybe going unnoticed sometimes, then later having a blow out. 

Thankfully I have never had a tire issue in the fifteen years. The Saliun tires have a 8 year warranty. So, my assumption is tires fail not because of the tire manufacturing itself but from owner neglect or road hazards. Time has proven confidence in these off brand tires. I’ll admit, sometimes it’s hard to buy the off brand when you’re the 20% who uses them because everybody thinks they are taboo. But, once again time has proven them and I have had no complaints.

Johnny
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

I have been toying with the idea of replacing all the rest of my tires with Double Coin tires. Yes, they are a china sourced tire. I have seen MANY good reviews from commercial truckers regarding them.

After my Tag blowout and roadside replacement by Loves it seems to me a good idea to have a tire brand that is readily available most places on the road. They are the official tire for Love's.

I have them on the tag axle right now and they work fine, have traveled 1200+ miles with them in all weather.

I am on the fence regarding the steer axle though.... In my mind, perhaps something better? But who knows, the Double Coin makes various models including some for steer axles.

If anyone wants to take a look at what they have and recommend drive and steer sku's I'd love a second (third, fourth, etc) opinion.

The ones I have on the Tag axles are:
D1133281456 11R24.5 RR150 LRH

I wouldn't buy them from Love's unless I was on the road in need, but they are very inexpensive:

https://www.tires-easy.com/11-24.5/doubl...1133281456

Since you can get them on the road, and it's unlikely you'd need more than one tire, you'll automatically have the same tire on both sides

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

“Double Coin” 
Exactly, I considered them also but my local commercial tire shop had the Saliun in stock. Costs me about $320 ea.

People will call me crazy to run one on a steer axle, but I have run the Premium steer tires on the front and have had no issues they have been great. We took a trip from Kansas to Charleston SC last summer in August. Tires ran flawlessly. The hardest part is getting over the mental block on having off brand tires on the front. And said earlier tried and proven last few years.

Johnny
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

Johnny,
I really don't have a "local commercial tire shop!" My theory was it would be better to source a tire that would be available across the US....just in case!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

To make it easy for others, the website is: www.gosailun.com.

They do NOT make a 365 tire, but they do make a 385/65R22.5 if you have clearance.

06 M450LXi 3 slide