You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Window fog

I recently saw a ad for a 2008ish Newell that stated that it had fogged windows repaired. 

I'm just wondering if this is a known issue with that vintage coach ?

I have previously owned coaches in the 2001 vintage era that have suffered from window fogging, but I thought that this issue was fixed with later model coaches and that it was no longer a thing.

Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.

Jeff

Yes, it is a known issue with that era Newell. Not too much info on this forum about it, but many of that era have had windows repaired. It surfaced when Newell went to the frameless window.

One thing that you will want to put into your things to consider. In that era and later, Newell installed some coaches with glass that had no provisions for ventilation. Some did, some didn’t. Now if you are an AC only guy, no problem. But if you like fresh air, just be aware.

I am not criticizing just pointing out something one new to Newells might not think to look for.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(02-23-2024, 01:17 PM)Refuse1 Wrote:  I recently saw a ad for a 2008ish Newell that stated that it had fogged windows repaired. 

I'm just wondering if this is a known issue with that vintage coach ?

I have previously owned coaches in the 2001 vintage era that have suffered from window fogging, but I thought that this issue was fixed with later model coaches and that it was no longer a thing.

Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.

Jeff

I had to replace/repair every window but one in my 2015 (#1517)

Ken & Karen
2015 Newell (Coach #1517)

IT IS A HUGE PROBLEM WITH ALL NEWELLS!!!!!!!!

I'm using ALL CAPS because we are all beyond TICKED OFF that we can't find windows for a high-end coach that don't fog!! STUPID!!

I've had Newell replace TWO of the same small vent window and gave up. They suggested AUTO GLASS BOSS because he gives a LONGER warranty (10 years!) than what Newell can...only 90 days!

He is SUPER hard to get scheduled, now that he's so busy; espeically with Newells. But, I've had him do several of mine (2015) and I'm going to have him do all the rest, because THEY ARE ALL started to fog!!

I have other friends with the same gripe... as new as a 2016. So, don't feel bad, and join the Foggy club.

BTW, Auto Glass Boss is based in Mesa, AZ but travels all over now. Just don't take him away from taking care of my coach... LOL!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

I am not trying to be persnickety. The fogging problem started when Newell converted to frameless windows. The framed windows of earlier era do not have this same issue.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(02-25-2024, 06:00 AM)Richard Wrote:  I am not trying to be persnickety. The fogging problem started when Newell converted to frameless windows. The framed windows of earlier era do not have this same issue.
I had every window in the coach taken apart and resealed by Joe & his crew at Auto Glass Boss.  The frameless windows are made by Hehr and the sealant used at the factory between the glass panes wasn't up to the vibration and pressure changes with altitude.  It is not a Newell problem, it is a Hehr problem.  Foretravel and other campers using frameless windows all suffer from fogging.  Joe is using the best sealant available which is why he offers a longer warranty.

Hehr was acquired by Lippert who also acquired Duncan Systems.  I needed a window torque operator for one window which opens, Lippert had me contact Duncan.  Duncan required the window number which is located on the frame; window must be removed to see it.  They didn't care that I sent the window operator photos, measurements etc., without that number they flat refused to do anything.  It was the worst case of Customer No Service I have seen.  I ended up ordering the Torque Operator from Pelland Enterprises

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

(02-25-2024, 06:00 AM)Richard Wrote:  I am not trying to be persnickety. The fogging problem started when Newell converted to frameless windows. The framed windows of earlier era do not have this same issue.

Yes, Richard…when I was referring to “all”, I meant all of the newer coaches with frameless windows.  Thanks for clarifying.

And like Jim says…it’s not Newell’s fault; they’re frustrated as well with the shoddy quality of Hehr/Lippert windows.

I had this discussion with them and even entertained the discussion of doing their own windows.  Huge undertaking, sure, but then again…pretty bad when you’ve got pretty much every multi-million dollar coach running around with this timebomb that will cause not only a visual annoyance, but a huge inconvenience and potential for “messing” things up during the repairs.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

I replaced one of the large windows that was fogged up with 1/2" tinted Plexi Glass 18 years ago. I ordered a replacement from the OEM manufacturer, which got lost in shipment. I did not want to wait so I went with the Pleixe Glass. The second replacement window arrived but the Pleixi Glass looked so good I did not replace it. Replacement still sitting in my garage. It will go with the coach when I sell this year.

Mark & Beverly Fincke
99 Newell Show Coach, # 527 (Heavy Metal)
Twin Slides, Rear Bath
08 Saturn Vue XR  SUV Toad

99 Escalade ESV.

(02-24-2024, 09:04 PM)CaptainGizmo Wrote:  IT IS A HUGE PROBLEM WITH ALL NEWELLS!!!!!!!!

I'm using ALL CAPS because we are all beyond TICKED OFF that we can't find windows for a high-end coach that don't fog!!  STUPID!!

I've had Newell replace TWO of the same small vent window and gave up.  They suggested AUTO GLASS BOSS because he gives a LONGER warranty (10 years!) than what Newell can...only 90 days!

He is SUPER hard to get scheduled, now that he's so busy; espeically with Newells.  But, I've had him do several of mine (2015) and I'm going to have him do all the rest, because THEY ARE ALL started to fog!!

I have other friends with the same gripe... as new as a 2016.  So, don't feel bad, and join the Foggy club.

BTW, Auto Glass Boss is based in Mesa, AZ but travels all over now.  Just don't take him away from taking care of my coach...  LOL!
Agree with Steve.  If you are in the Southeast, I can give you the contact of the guy I use.  He has an office in Myrtle Beach and is based out of Lakeland Florida and is

Ken & Karen
2015 Newell (Coach #1517)

Thanks for all the replies. It is amazing to me that Newell would continue to install windows that have known issues. This does not seem to be in keeping with their stated "best in class customer service" statement.

Jeff