You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

DPF engine codes / aftertreatment-sensor wiring harness.

Hey Gurus,
Here is a fun one.

Have any of you had to fix or replace the DPF aftertreatment harness or sensors on a CAT C15??

My C15 has two codes for bank 1 DPF gas temperature. One each for input and output. Sometimes its "Voltage above normal" and sometimes its " Voltage below normal". I have it at a repair shop that has the CAT diagnostic software. That shop said the coach needs an aftertreatment jumper harness from the engine harness to temperature sensors, as well as a doc inlet clamp and gasket. Of course this info was obtained via CAN bus debugging, not taking anything apart (Shop is disassembling tomorrow). The shop called CAT to get parts, after which CAT said they don't make such a harness and we should call the coach maker. The shop emailed Newell who said they don't touch emission parts. I guess we'll see what we have when they disassemble tomorrow and look for part numbers, if any. I certainly hope the part numbers are on the bad parts, or the parts are obviously failed (such as a broken wire or connector, or sensor that measures out of range, when isolated.

In any event, has anyone had to repair this area or have a wiring diagram? Photos would be great but Santa didn't bring 'em and I can't wait for the Easter Bunny.

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

Bob, see page 2 of this post https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=7452

Different engine, but a little insight into how Newell might have done some janky wiring in the same area.

Not saying this is your problem, but……..

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(02-29-2024, 05:31 PM)Richard Wrote:  Bob,  see page 2 of this post https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=7452

Different engine, but a little insight into how Newell might have done some janky wiring in the same area.

Richard!! Thanks again!! I'll read that. I searched the site for aftertreatment and other things but didn't find anything.

So I just got the estimate from Orlando Freightliner for dropping the DPF system and re-installing it. $2856.88. I guess they looked at it and couldn't see the sensor box, so down it comes to look at it...... I looked for this and couldn't see anything myself, so I'm sure its buried......Its emissions, right?
I wonder about the cost of emissions repairs compared to the overall costs of engine maintenance. Makes ya wonder...

Bob & Dottie
2014 Smart car

(02-29-2024, 05:31 PM)Richard Wrote:  Bob,  see page 2 of this post https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=7452

Richard!! Thanks again!! I'll read that. I searched the site for aftertreatment and other things but didn't find anything.

So I just got the estimate from Orlando Freightliner for dropping the DPF system and re-installing it. $2856.88. I guess they looked at it and couldn't see the sensor box, so down it comes to look at it...... I looked for this and couldn't see anything myself, so I'm sure its buried......Its emissions, right?
I wonder about the cost of emissions repairs compared to the overall costs of engine maintenance. Makes ya wonder...

Bob & Dottie
2014 Smart car

Richard,

I read that article 2 days ago. Scary. I didn't look at it when you sent the link, because the service rep here was approavhing me. Looks like the problem was twofold. Bad sensor box for the DPF ( Diesel Particulate Filter - gov't mandated cork for your exhaust) and also wirong Newell made from the coach to this system. I asked to get a picture and I don't yet know if they'll give it to me. I'll wrap this up when they finish.

Bob & Dottie
2014 Smart car

(03-01-2024, 12:51 PM)xGE_97 Wrote:  Richard,

I read that article 2 days ago. Scary. I didn't look at it when you sent the link, because the service rep here was approavhing me.  Looks like the problem was twofold. Bad sensor box for the DPF ( Diesel Particulate Filter - gov't mandated cork for your exhaust) and also wirong Newell made from the coach to this system. I asked to get a picture and I don't yet know if they'll give it to me. I'll wrap this up when they finish.
Here are some photos of the SCR on a Cummins coach.  Remove the shiny stainless cover between the engine & battery's & there it is, easy access.        

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling