You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator exhaust relocation

I had to relocate the generator exhaust since the previous owner ran over something that crushed the pipe going up through the roof. Their repair was to cut the pipe and do a side exit using the crushed roof pipe bend as an anchoring point with a radiator hose clamp for securement. This worked fine but the pipes and hangers were 30 years old and looked janky. When I removed the air tanks, the exhaust was in the way which hindered tank removal and access to the fittings high above the tanks. I had cut the pipes out of the way to reconfigure them to a side exit behind the driver wheel area. In doing so I finally found out why my generator slide would hang up halfway with a delay before it came speeding out. The generator exhaust sleeve was dented since it sat on the front axle when the bags were deflated. I could not fix the dent since it was right in the center of the pipe so I cut out the damage and welded in a new curved piece. The pipe slides nicely now with no hangups. In the whole process I added V-band clamps to make it easy for exhaust pipe removal should the air tanks need to be removed in the future. Overall, it came out nice. I still need to paint the welds with high heat silver and install a new hanger for the generator sleeve pipe. That pipe had heat wrapping on it. Not sure if I should bother putting it back? Do you guys have any heat insulation wrap on your generator pipe where it exits and goes outside the coach?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(03-17-2024, 08:11 PM)BusNit Wrote:  I had to relocate the generator exhaust since the previous owner ran over something that crushed the pipe going up through the roof. Their repair was to cut the pipe and do a side exit using the crushed roof pipe bend as an anchoring point with a radiator hose clamp for securement. This worked fine but the pipes and hangers were 30 years old and looked janky. When I removed the air tanks, the exhaust was in the way which hindered tank removal and access to the fittings high above the tanks. I had cut the pipes out of the way to reconfigure them to a side exit behind the driver wheel area. In doing so I finally found out why my generator slide would hang up halfway with a delay before it came speeding out. The generator exhaust sleeve was dented since it sat on the front axle when the bags were deflated. I could not fix the dent since it was right in the center of the pipe so I cut out the damage and welded in a new curved piece. The pipe slides nicely now with no hangups. In the whole process I added V-band clamps to make it easy for exhaust pipe removal should the air tanks need to be removed in the future. Overall, it came out nice. I still need to paint the welds with high heat silver and install a new hanger for the generator sleeve pipe. That pipe had heat wrapping on it. Not sure if I should bother putting it back? Do you guys have any heat insulation wrap on your generator pipe where it exits and goes outside the coach?

Nice work Simon!
Reminds me I need to put a different pipe on my roof vent, its getting water in is and then when I turn on the generator it spits carbon goo on the side of the coach. I am thinking of getting a 90 degree stainless pipe so that its long enough I can make it where it will not get water in it.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

I know people ask me why I just didn't put it back through the roof. My answer is similar to your problem. I already get carbon out the pipe and really do not want it all over the roof, solar panels and sides. Also, the length of the run down the center of the coach you can see the original pipes are thrashed from scrubbing into things. It was around 6" from the ground. Finally, a closer side exit to an area where we do not open windows and easier breathing for the generator is a win-win.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I personally think that the generator exhausting from the roof is one of the better advancements from my previous Newell to my current Newell. My previous Newell blew dust and exhaust into my campground, the current Newell does not and I love it.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Our use is mostly without the generator. Our battery bank lasts us 6 days with no cooling. For campgrounds and where we use the coach it's either plugged in or on solar. I seldom park on dirt as my biggest fear is getting stuck from sinking tires. Generator gets used when driving to keep the a/c's going. I must have put on maybe 11 hours use in two and a half years. Most of that is to exercise it.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I wrapped the muffler with heat rejecting material along with the lead out of the generator exhaust. Ran the generator for a little over an hour at load to burn off any residual oils and to set the thermal barrier. All is well.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(03-19-2024, 05:43 AM)BusNit Wrote:  Our use is mostly without the generator. Our battery bank lasts us 6 days with no cooling. For campgrounds and where we use the coach it's either plugged in or on solar. I seldom park on dirt as my biggest fear is getting stuck from sinking tires. Generator gets used when driving to keep the a/c's going. I must have put on maybe 11 hours use in two and a half years. Most of that is to exercise it.

So many wonderful ways to enjoy these coaches.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

I've always respected this coach as an over the road land yacht. Not really designed to go "camping" in the woods and therefore I do not test those limitations beyond the wide asphalt roadways.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312