You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Docking lights

I got around to removing the side docking lights and replacing them with LED units. The LED replacements are slightly larger and thicker which made reinstalling the rubber assembly into the coach fender flare a big challenge. I used copious amounts of electrician wire lube but in the end, a Dremel tool was needed to remove some material in the hole to widen it. Glad that is done. Original lights used around 5-6 amps each. These are around 1 amp a piece. Rubber was in very good condition aside from being extremely dirty from years of road debris. I let them soak in a tub of simple green and hand scrubbed them. One of the lights must have been replaced at one point since there is a mismatched color set of rubber boots. Since the pic was taken, I added a 1/4" wire loom to protect the exposed wire and zip tied it to the cross frame. I surely hope I never have to replace these ever again.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Looking good

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

My coach isn't here to measure but they look like 4.5" PAR36. My coach is both 24v and 12v, have to have 24v for the ECM. I was looking on the internet for aircraft landing lights and discovered they use 1.0 amps at 12v but only 0.5 amps at 24v. They also come in a focused beam for landing lights and also a Taxi/Flood Beam.

LED aircraft landing lights on Amazon

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I seen the landing lights but I went with reviews and ultimately began my search based on Lumens output. All of the Par36 LED replacements have a thicker shell which doesn't fit perfectly in the allotted groove of the rubber boot. It bulges the rubber boot slightly which makes it an utter nightmare to fit in the existing hole. The ones I found are listed as 2400 lumens and will operate on 12-24v. My understanding is most aircraft operate on 28vdc? Either way I think most of these can operate up to 30vdc. I found the existing sealed lamps were dismal at side lighting. It was something on my list and long purchased that I put off for months until this past weekend.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0968R1QG3?psc...ct_details

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Interesting, Light Color 5000K and Color Temperature 6000 Kelvin. And I thought that 5000K was 5000 Kelvin. The other thing that should be a standard for LED lights is the lumens. Your link is listed but mine isn't. It would make our research so much easier if there were standards...

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I put the same ones on our coach, they can light up a few acres. Smile

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(03-25-2024, 08:54 PM)MrE Wrote:  Interesting, Light Color 5000K and Color Temperature 6000 Kelvin. And I thought that 5000K was 5000 Kelvin. The other thing that should be a standard for LED lights is the lumens. Your link is listed but mine isn't. It would make our research so much easier if there were standards...

Yeah, I can't go by Amazon's Chinesium specifications. Almost everything I purchase aside from food products (standard food we buy locally with same brands) I figure the best way to judge their product offerings is by customer reviews and pictures. This never speaks to longevity so there's always that gamble. Most things I buy for the coach mechanically gets name brand parts even if they are manufactured overseas such as Bendix brake parts and hardware.

Regarding these lights, they look to be a mix of 5-6000k color. They match the headlights and really do not look blue. I doubt they will last more than a year as a headlight duty spec which they are intended for however for the little use the docking lights see, they should last many years. *should*!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312