You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Right front Brake hose

Last fall I had a major air leak in my front right air hose and had a new one installed at a shop(not the one that did my tag bushings wheel seals and bearing alignment)  So today took it for a ride went through a tight round about near my house and heard a pop clunk in my front right,thought what was that. Drive up interstate about 8mes then back to storage as rain was coming. I did notice stopping on exit ramp pressure dropped to 90psi then while parking in the garage while using a lot of break maneuvering in pressure dropping like crazy and could hear a lot of air. Aired it back up shoot off had my son step on break while I looked under and the fitting at the break chamber was snapped off and also they used Teflon tape on it.In Richards YouTube he said that’s not a good idea. My question is what would cause this hose to bust off?  Too short or over tightened?  If zoom in where the rubber meets the brass it looks messed up too

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Willie and Rachel Moore                                         
Neenah,Wisconsin 
1997 45’ #465 DD60                                          
2020 Coachmen 210QB
2010 26’ Conquest tt
38’ Wellcraft Scarab Thunder twin 500 
1988 Donzi 29Z t 454 mag

(04-07-2024, 04:54 PM)WillieG Wrote:  Last fall I had a major air leak in my front right air hose and had a new one installed at a shop(not the one that did my tag bushings wheel seals and bearing alignment)  So today took it for a ride went through a tight round about near my house and heard a pop clunk in my front right,thought what was that. Drive up interstate about 8mes then back to storage as rain was coming. I did notice stopping on exit ramp pressure dropped to 90psi then while parking in the garage while using a lot of break maneuvering in pressure dropping like crazy and could hear a lot of air. Aired it back up shoot off had my son step on break while I looked under and the fitting at the break chamber was snapped off and also they used Teflon tape on it.In Richards YouTube he said that’s not a good idea. My question is what would cause this hose to bust off?  Too short or over tightened?  If zoom in where the rubber meets the brass it looks messed up too

Couple of different scenarios come to mind. They may have cracked the fitting by tightening it too much, and the stress finished it off. Could be the hose was too short, but I would have thought the hose would have given first and not the fitting. In this situation it is possible to plug the line to get you by to get off the road, obviously not a permanent fix. No telling what really happened here, but its always a good idea to put the front tires through all their range of motion after replacing these brake hoses to make sure they are long enough and they are not going to rub on anything.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

It’s odd as there are no more than 30miles on since the hose was replaced

Willie and Rachel Moore                                         
Neenah,Wisconsin 
1997 45’ #465 DD60                                          
2020 Coachmen 210QB
2010 26’ Conquest tt
1988 Donzi 29Z t 454 mag

From what I can see in the photo, the hose assembly and install are less than optimum. How about that for political correctness.

You need two things to fix this. The first is an EZ Out to get the broken fittings out of the brake chamber. The second is a new BRAKE hose. Measure the one on the other side, and take that measurement to a fleet pride or similar store, perhaps even NAPA, and tell them you want an air brake hose. They will have a rack of premade hoses with appropriate fittings on each end.

Now here is a trick that will make this way easier. The premade hoses will not usually swivel. So threading both ends without twisting the hose is difficult. Remove the two bolts that hold the brake chamber to the caliper. You can now turn the chamber as you thread the fitting. Reinstall the chamber after the fitting is tightened. Use tape or dope, your preference.

This is an easy fix. Be sure to crib the coach while working in the wheel well.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The shop that did the brake hose has agreed to pay for the repairs of the failed right front line they installed. I’m getting my transmission fluid and filter serviced at the place that did my tag work,and will have them redo the brake line.What are opinions on doing the left front with a new line right away?   I actually told the other shop to do both front lines when they replaced the one last fall.Of course that place has horrible communication and they didn’t do what I had asked.

Willie and Rachel Moore                                         
Neenah,Wisconsin 
1997 45’ #465 DD60                                          
2020 Coachmen 210QB
2010 26’ Conquest tt
1988 Donzi 29Z t 454 mag