You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

new rear camera install

my coach had a newell homegrown camera monitor.  pictures below.  it had stopped working.

ordered a voyager setup from rvcams.  

found that the rear camera had 12v to it all the time.  so for 22 years it had been powered on.  the front monitor only comes on when the ignition is on and the monitor switch on the left drivers console is on.  

so michael day is here visiting and we got the install started.  ran new 12v switched power from the engine bay to the rear camera.  and since i am moving the new lcd monitor to be overhead ran 12v power and video from the lower dash to the upper dash.  

the same place the old monitor was is my car stereo, ac controls, hwh panel etc.  so i will make a new panel to go in there and relocate the things to be easier to use.  my ac controls were at my ankle which was strange.  

trying to figure out what plastic to use to make a new dash panel.  any suggestions?   i will probably had it laser cut or cnc's along with a match thin aluminum panel to make it stronger.  that thin woodgrain plastic cracked and broke.  

will get the camera next week. 

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I use ABS on many things. If you cut it with the laser make sure its outside or well ventilated, the fumes are really bad.

https://www.amazon.com/ABS-Plastic-Textu...193&sr=8-3

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

ABS is easy to work with, it's also easy to score and snap, and easily bend it using a heat gun.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

You can also get it in woodgrain to match if needed:

https://www.amazon.com/Sheets-Instrument...287&sr=8-2

06 M450LXi 3 slide

I had no idea they made it coated, very cool.

Gravette, Arkansas

the problem now is not the plastic but how to get it cut so exactly for the things going in it and the dash space.

tom

Your cnc laser will do the job, I can draw it up for you on cad if you need a hand.

Gravette, Arkansas

darlenes laser cutter is a 20w xtool d1. i think it might cut it bt everywhere says that abs will generate dangerous fumes when cutting it and not to do abs.

any experience?

tom

Yes she is correct either a few extractor or cut it outside. 20 watts will cut it but you may have to make several passes on quarter inch 3/16 would be easier. Send me the dimensions and I will draw it up on CAD for you and send you the dxf file.

Gravette, Arkansas

hi jack

i will do that his week sometime. i am having cataract surgery tomorrow so then maybe i can see well enough to do it.....ha

thanks

tom