You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Replace Wheels or Not

My 1974 Newell has 10.00R20 Michelins on 10 hole Budd Wheels.  The tires are like New but are very old.  They must be replaced.  Noone wants anything to do with Split Rims anymore.  These are Really nice aluminum wheels but I guess I am going to have to go to something else unless you guys can convince me of another way.  My question is,  Will Any Other Type Wheel in A Larger Size, say 22.5 fit on my Drums?  Or am I looking at changing drums all around.  What have others done on Older Coaches?  Any Help Is Appreciated!  Thank You,  Al Nesbitt

You have some measuring and searching to do.

This should help with finding possible wheel solutions. https://www.alcoawheels.com/north-americ...ct-search/

Once you have a suitable wheel that will fit the stud pattern and clear the brake drums, then you will have to look at tire data books to see what will work within your wheel wells.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Aluminum split rims, hmm did not even know they made them in aluminum. Have only seen them in steel, but they were almost all but phased out around my time. Just some old equipment running the steel split rims. 

I would believe that the room around the drum will not be a problem since the wheel will be much larger, making sure the bolt pattern is correct and the tire is going to fit into the wheel well will be key. May have to go with a low pro tire to get clearance.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

I also have only seen them in steal and that was 40 years ago, they have maimed and killed people. Might check an RV graveyard for a full set of used aluminum wheels.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Aluminum Budds are available in 22.5 but getting more difficult to find used. I found 2 in a truck boneyard and had them polished. 24.5's seem to be more common but in your case may not work due to clearance. Maybe lo pro tires? I drove around Phoenix all day looking for used ones for spare. Found 2 of each 22.5 and 24.5. I am assuming you have the standard 10 hole Budd. My 1972 Pete 359 had the split aluminum on the steer and steel on rear. We swapped them out in the 1980's when whees were easier to locate. Good luck

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

I found some new Stud piloted Alcoas last night. Going to buy them tomorrow morning. Now just have to decide on tires. I'm not sure I want to pop for Michelins, I am too old to spend the money! Any suggestions?

Al

We have a lot of Toyos on the farm trucks. Reasonably priced and seem to be in stock.

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

My 73 Newell had 24.5 Alcoas when I bought it. I currently own an 86 that I'm doing a repower on. I bought a Denver metro bus for the engine and transmission. It had 24.5 Alcoas on it that are in Missouri that you could probably pick up rather inexpensively if you're in the area, SW about 25 miles east of Joplin. They're not polished but I'm sure the price would be right.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I have Toyo's steer and tag and Double coin on drivers which Love's sells.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(04-25-2024, 02:58 PM)2bdeLrrp69 Wrote:  I found some new Stud piloted Alcoas last night.  Going to buy them tomorrow morning.  Now just have to decide on tires.  I'm not sure I want to pop for Michelins,  I am too old to spend the money!  Any suggestions?

Al

Toyos is what I went with. At the time tiresdirect.net had the best price but I have looked recently and seems like their prices have gone up. The toyos ride great and are smooth as glass, did not even have mine balanced and they are smooth. I bought balance beads but almost think they are not necessary.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)