You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Faults

Gurus, 
I lost power today while driving my coach ( 2012 p2000 ) and the faults on their dash were as follows.   Odd thing is that the Intake temp didnt go above 118 degrees so not sure why the turbo inlet fault was present.  During the course of these faults , I lost power on the highway and had to cost to the shoulder. 

2789 15 Turbo Inlet Tmp/High
91 2 Accel Position / Error
102 18 Boost Pressure / Low

Look for a loose clamp on the pressure side of the turbo, check the intercooler for for cracks. As for the rest of the codes they could have been stored for some time, I have a high intake pressure and temp code on my DDEC. What engine do you have?

1999 45'  #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas
1996 40 XL Prevost Marathon 

Welcome to the forum.

Did the coach restart? Or are you stuck on the side of the road? When you say it lost power, did it derate or totally shutdown?

If the coach restarted with no error codes, then the first place I am looking is to clean all the connections to the engine ECU. Unplug the connectors, spray with contact cleaner, let them dry, and reconnect. Don’t forget the connector for the TPS, throttle position sensor. That one will be in harness connected to the accelerator pedal.

Sorry this is only generic advice.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(05-17-2024, 04:11 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Look for a loose clamp on the pressure side of the turbo, check the intercooler for for cracks. As for the rest of the codes they could have been stored for some time, I have a high intake pressure and temp code on my DDEC. What engine do you have?

Sadly i check all this and there was nothing loose or compromised. Called Newell and they past me along to cummins and then cummins said they don't do field work on RV's

(05-17-2024, 04:23 AM)Richard Wrote:  Welcome to the forum.

Did the coach restart? Or are you stuck on the side of the road? When you say it lost power, did it derate or totally shutdown?

If the coach restarted with no error codes, then the first place I am looking is to clean all the connections to the engine ECU. Unplug the connectors, spray with contact cleaner, let them dry, and reconnect. Don’t forget the connector for the TPS, throttle position sensor. That one will be in harness connected to the accelerator pedal.

Sorry this is only generic advice.
I was able to get it off the road. I looked up the faults and the noted what they were. I think wanted a minute or so then refired the coach and it limped back to where I was going. 

When i stated it lost power. The engine was still running was the pedal didnt do anything at that point and i have to throttle upon pushing the skinny pedal on the right.

As Richard suggested check the throttle position sensor, should be on the pedal or attached to it by linkage.

Gravette, Arkansas

On 653, if you switched on the “Fast Idle” switch, it would act like this. Engine runs, but the throttle pedal does nothing.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I have a different engine, but when my TPS throttle position sensor went belly up, it acted exactly as you are describing. And it happened without warning.

If you look at the throttle pedal, it will be a small squarish box with wires coming out of it. Usually held in place by two screws.

You should be able to find one at any truck supply house or Cummins shop.

When I had this problem in the middle of nowhere Alaska, I was able to temporarily fix the issue by using percussive persuasion on the sensor. It worked for a while longer. It’s a simple disc and wiper inside like a potentiometer. My point is that if you tap on the TPS aggressively and the throttle starts to work, then there is a good chance you have identified the problem. If that does work, I would still replace the TPS before driving any further. There is a TPS calibration procedure for some engines. Google will find it for you with the correct search terms.

If you clear the codes, do they come back?

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

After your story Richard I carry a spare just in case.

Gravette, Arkansas

I hope you are up and going, when you have a chance would you mind telling us about the culprit?

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad