You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Your modern convinces

If you were starting with a blank canvas, what are the conveniences you just have to have?  What could you simply just do without?

We are completely resto-modding a 76 coach.  This is our first rv, so I am trying to get things right the first time. 

Do you use the open, or would a cook top and air fryer be enough?  More or less outlets?  I'm planning on putting outlets with usb plugs right in them throughout. 

I am thinking about mini splits for heat and ac just not 100% sure on those yet.  

Multiple cameras vs just a single back up cam?

That type of thing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

JR and Emily Fairchild 
Ridgebury PA

Classic 1976
Everest_the_Newell
Triple nickel Cummins
Allison auto
And a bunch of unknowns.

I have 3.5 tons of mini splits in our 45' coach and could have gotten by with 2.5 tons, absolutely wonderful heat and cool with your coach size I believe 2 tons would do the trick. As far as cameras we have 5 POE cameras, one below each mirror one in the front pointing down one 180 degree in the back plus one inside up front to keep and eye on the dogs when we're gone. One thought is to ween yourself of propane thats always a big worry for me.

1999 45'  #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas
1996 40 XL Prevost Marathon 

(06-13-2024, 07:26 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  One thought is to ween yourself of propane thats always a big worry for me.

So you think you could do without propane completely?   That's one of the things I have been thinking about.  We need all new appliances so I am looking at options of propane vs electric.

JR and Emily Fairchild 
Ridgebury PA

Classic 1976
Everest_the_Newell
Triple nickel Cummins
Allison auto
And a bunch of unknowns.

All electric, Lithium battery setup. When you price it out, you will see it will be no more than propane.

Induction cooktop. Microwave/convection oven.

The answer to your question depends upon your intended use, your own vision, and budget of course. Let me illustrate. If your idea is the coach is a tin tent to be used a couple of times per year, then the answers would be portable applicances. If the answer is the vision is a complete restoration with 2 month long trips then the answer is mini splits, induction cooking, lithium batteries, strongly consider washer/dryer.

Do you see pedestal to pedestal use? Or week long boondocks?

We live in ours six months per year so my emphasis is on what makes the bride happy = washer/dryer, res fridge, and ice cold AC. For me, it’s the cooking capability of built in range top and convection oven. Others will have other priorities.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

She wants to travel after retirement(got a few years for that still.) So we will live out of it a couple weeks at a time. We don't have any issue with laundry but I was considering a full size fridge(as long as I can get it through the door).

I do not have a preference propane or electric either way. She does prefer a gas stove over electric at home though.

JR and Emily Fairchild 
Ridgebury PA

Classic 1976
Everest_the_Newell
Triple nickel Cummins
Allison auto
And a bunch of unknowns.

If you get rid of the roof air you have plenty of real estate for some solar panels at least enough to run a two ton mini split. How long is your coach ? The other question is do you have enough room for the compressor in one of the bays? I have our 2 ton unit running right now, turned it on about an hour and a half ago to do some work in there if you look at the screenshot nothing is coming off the grid the solar is charging the batteries and supplying the wattage necessary to run the 2-ton heat pump in the front of the couch.

1999 45'  #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas
1996 40 XL Prevost Marathon 

39 foot. We are going to do mini splits, solar is one thing we are considering as well.

JR and Emily Fairchild 
Ridgebury PA

Classic 1976
Everest_the_Newell
Triple nickel Cummins
Allison auto
And a bunch of unknowns.

If you are looking to do solar, then check out https://www.santansolar.com/ they have pretty good prices on used and new panels, I have yet to find better. If you are looking at Victron for the MPPT / Inverter / buck / boost / DC-DC, then ThePowerStore has pretty good prices, don't go off their website, you can email [email protected] and he gets you better prices. Saved me about 3k off their website/ any other distributor's prices. They sell more than victron, obviously, that just happens to be what I went with. We just upgraded our microwave to one that is Microwave/Convection/Air Fryer, which is a nice step up.

- Marcus G-R

8V92TA 43.5' 1991 Newell # 258 
Toad 2015 Mercedes-Benz Gl350 on a BigTex open trailer.  

Consider what your heating options are and power usage. I kept my large 67 gallon propane tank since we have two high capacity furnaces. I love being more off grid than not. My solar system keeps the rest going.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Induction burner definitely. A portable single burner is nice to try out and bring it outside when the weather is nice.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337