You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Power steering suddenly out #1261, 2009

Gurus, 

Just left a truck stop on hwy 29, just north of Kansas City. The power steering went out as we turned out of the lot. I read some posts here and obviously checkedbhyd fluid uts ok. Then pulled the control for the fan solenoid. No difference. The fan was not running anyway. My guess at this point is the hydraulic pump. It shares a spot with the fuel pump on some sort of internal connection with the engine. Fuel pump works, hyd pump not. 

Out of ideas now. We were on a last leg to Newell, about 180 miles north of them. Any thoughts??

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

Pump or blown fan motor. If the internal seals go in the fan motor, no hyd fluid for the pwr steering.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,

Thanks. I read your other post in another thread before sending this post. I pulled the solenoid control wire. The fan had not been running because the engine was onlyb185 degrees. There was no change when thw control was pulled.

So I talked to "Mark" at Newell about this. He said if the control wire is disconnected, the fan will run at high speed even if there is no temperature demand to run it. I know in your other post you said the fan would run, however I didn't know if it needed temperature demand as well. So, its the pump. Mark said yup.....its the pump. He offered to go to the factory, check stock and have a mechanic drive it out and install it for me. I decided to let evwryone have their fathers day and call local roadside assistance. Maybe they'll have the part. I included a pic of the pump nameplate. Sorry for the badnpic but the nameplate has corrosion.
Its a Vickers V2010 pump. Probably a million out there for every engine.

Hope they have the part here somewhere. I'm north of Kansas City at the hwy 29, exit 20, Trex truck stop.
Got backed-in (no need for the gym); and parked until help arrives. If they can't figure it out, I'll seek out parts myself tomorrow.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bob & Dottie
2014 Smart car

Better picture, once I had a chance to clean it off.

Well, no one has one on their truck. So its call Cat in the morning. If they don't have it, I'm driving the car to Newell and pick it up, as long as they have it. We'll see. 

At least its parked safe in a truck stop. If it takes a few days, it is what it is. Doctor appointments will have to move.....I'll tell them the RV had to have a gall bladder operation. They'll understand that.

Bob & Dottie
2014 Smart car

Somewhere in the cobwebs is a vague idea about a splined coupling on CAT engines that drives the hyd pump. If that coupling strips, the pump doesn’t turn. Don’t take that to the bank, but maybe it gives you something to look into tonight.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Golden cobwebs!

Mark, from Newell, said that he replaced 4 Vickers hydraulic pumps this last week. He said that usually the gear teeth are sheared off. So, my question is what about the mating gears? and why do they get destroyed?

Bob & Dottie
2014 Smart car

I think they redesigned the pump and it was a shorter or longer shaft. Don’t remember which one. When I had a cat, I had Newell pull it and check to make sure mine had been replaced. Jim Epler had a good write up on Facebook about it.

Interesting. Is there a link or anything I can use to get to that facebook discussion? My wife has an old facebook acct but we never really used it.

I'm getting asked by the truck stop about when I think I'll be moving the rig. So I'm getting a little desperate. CAT does not list that part number, several online sources say they haven't had it for years, No one talks cross reference. I'm almost feeling that it has to be pulled and repaired at a shop somewhere.

Bob & Dottie
2014 Smart car

https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?t...D+STEERING

I had trouble getting this bolt out when I was trying to check mine.

Ok. I found the fb post. If anyone is near Kansas City and is willing to loan or sell me their pump V2010 6FS3S 138Cc12L so I can get my coach the 180 miles to Newell, I'd be happy.

As others have said, this is now a maintenance issue and needs to be checked. Also a spare pump is needed.

Its interesting that Newell went to a longer shaft pump at some point and yet in the facebook pictures, it looks like Epler's pump shaft had a good amount engaged and worn. Sounds like the shaft is softer than it should be.......kinda like the old GM soft cams of the 70's.

Bob & Dottie
2014 Smart car